Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Price Outlook?

Default Re: Price Outlook?

The sub 30 foot market is where my boat is sitting. After contacting quite a few dealers in different aeras they have all said the market has been slow to dead at the moment in that size range and they are having to reduce prices to even get people to sniff a look at the boats. IMHO the 20% price drop is already happing and thats a full season before red goes.

I mean that that the sub 30 foot market has a further 20% to go from now!

All my figures are based on the prices that boats are now being sold at . not even what is being asked .......
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

That is the critical point what they are being sold at. As far as i can see and have been told their is often a large difference beetween that and asking price.
    It would be interesting if such a set of figures existed as to real prices made for different models.

Paul would you like to have a guess at what is going to happen in the yacht market? Yes I know its a Mobo forum but are price drops likely across the yacht sector too ? We are contemplating a Jeanneau yacht 35ft @ 35k having just given away our Sealine 240 to EBY because it wouldn't sell via brokers.

Pete and Viv
    Moody 31

All this is just me pennies worth - I amy be totally wrong.

My take on the yacht market is that it is going to be effected but to a far lesser degree.

The interest rates at home, the chicken coming home to roost in the economy will depress that market as will the way marina charges etc have risen and risen well above inflation. My guess would be more like a 10% to 15% drop in the raggie used prices simply because of those underlying market forces.

In selling your boat to EBY all that you were doing is allowing them to sell it off at market price - market price is basically what any moBo should sell at withing 3 months of going on the market - if it does not sell it has either recived little advertsising or is overpriced. EBY are it seems the only dealers who undersdtand that.

They recently turned me down on a 2003 Sealine S51 for 150k - It had been smoke damaged but was well fixed and looked like new but they were not interested at any price smoke damage or not. I think they know the market well. I have a great deal of respect for them.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat

Nautorius is offline Registered User

Paul,

I think the Sub 30ft Market has taken a significant hit already (15%) and that there is about another 10% to go, although over winter that will be worse!

My Boat was Broker Valued at 52k in January. I put it up for sale at 46,995. I had two offers around 43k (both accepted but each time interest rates went up and they pulled out...Dreamers?) I thought the price for quick sale was around the late 30's, but as only 3 sold in whole of UK this year (7 last year) it is difficult.

A 2002 model with the old Aq31 just sold for 39k so I have priced mine at 39,950 to get her sold (2003 with Kad32).

It is easier to judge with more common models!

Cheers

Paul [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Boating is the only thing that keeps me sane!

Paul thanks [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

EBY were easy to deal with and the whole thing was completed in a week. We took the hit because we wanted to move on and 3 months with a brokerage achieved very little other than the yard fees starting to mount up on a boat that wasn't being used. Your right the price has to be realistic to sell at the moment.

Pete
    Moody 31

Interesting to read about the situation over there. Here in the U.S. most people see it the same. However, I have a different point of view. At least here, new boat prices are simply OUT OF CONTROL, the msrp of boats seems to have doubled over the past five years. So used boats seem like a very attractive option by comparison. People look at boats a few years old and they don't realize that the msrp was not the same then as it is now, so they see the selling price for the used boat, compare it to the riduculous msrp on the new model, and think that the owner is taking more of a hit that he really is.
    In any case, what I see is that after the first 2-3 years depreciation has taken place, boats' values here can be held pretty stable by the fact that new boat prices keep making used boat prices seem more attractive (assuming vessel is kept in excellent, like new condition).
    One example, my best boating friend bought a 2000 37' cruiser recently, used it for a year, improved it maybe putting 10k into it, and just sold it for 20k more than he bought it.

Ernesto
    What would be the effect on the USA market if fuel went up to say $9 per USA gallon?
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat

hlb is offline Registered User

We'd all get bombed.