Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Price Outlook?

Default Re: Price Outlook?

I don't know, maybe we'll all put a hole on the bottom and collect on the insurance?

In any case, I can't wait until I can afford a 35' diesel express. Maybe in that scenario more people here would realize that diesel is the most sensible way to go?

As opposed to guess work ,some actual real world events,my chum has just put in an offer on an old ?(1992) twin screw flybridge with the very unfashionable small engine(ie.non gas guzzling) option and was told in no uncertain terms to take a hike.
    His offer was within 10% of the asking price and was being bought "as seen".
    The prices are going down scenerio has yet to reach this seller,perhaps someone ought to mention it to him!

mikef is offline Registered User

There's a lot of doom and gloom going on here. IMHO, used boat prices will be forever supported by new boat demand. Whilst new boat prices continue to go up as they do, manufacturers report brisk business and there are waiting lists on many models, used boat values will be supported and this is the situation which still pertains at the moment. If the new boat market bombs, then so will the used boat market but that has'nt happened yet and I don't believe it will until the economy starts to dive which it has'nt yet
    I will agree with gludy though on one point. IMHO the cost of berthing and fuelling bigger older used boats is making some punters look at newer smaller ones although quite why he thinks that semi-d and d boats are exempt from this, I don't know. Nothing to do with the fact he's about to buy one I guess [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Certainly there are some sellers out there who don't seem to believe that new/newish boats do depreciate contrary to what the salesman tells them and do need to be more realistic about asking prices but that does'nt constitute a general fall in used boat values

Never wrote they would be exempt - just stated that they would depreciate at a lower rate. The reason is that they are less sesnsitive to fuel price hike. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

mikef is offline Registered User

Displacement boats I will agree with but semi-d boats use even more fuel than planing boats at the kind of speeds they're capable of so you could argue that semi-d boats are more susceptible to the red diesel issue, not less. Some owners might buy semi-d boats and plan to cruise them at d speeds but my guess is that most thrash along at planing speeds just like the rest of us

stefan_r is offline Registered User

Hi Ernesto, what do you drive?

I was looking to bring over an MTI cat or Cigarette but just couldn't make the finances work with repowering (even for boats with no power!).

Eventually bought a reposessed Sunseeker in California, imported it to /uk and still saved 30,000/$60,000...very happy!!!
    South Coast to Greece delivery trip - Mochi 46 Flybridge:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.p...an//page//vc/1

Mike
    Many use SD boats like the Fleming 55 cruising at 8/9 knots in this months mag.
    basically an SD hull is a hull that performs in a stable fashion at low speed but carries a fuel penalty at high speed - so its a craft that should basically be used at low speed butt offers the high speed when needed to make it to the lock on time etc.
    Even then - the fuel is not so bad. My SD boat did offer econo9mic low speed cruising whilst staying stable with stabilsers etc and I could go at 18 knots and get the same consumption as the planing boat of the same size at 26 knots. So I could choose to do moderate high speed and use the same as the planing boat. If i went at the same speed as the same size planing boat there was a big fuel penalty.
    My next boat will probably have 3 engines - one small 300 hp job for the bulk of the slow speed cruising which is the only way most large UK cruising boats will have to go in the future.

Having tried both planing and SD I would never go back to planing.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

Stefan,
    We run a 2004 Doral Intrigue with dual Volvo 5.7Gi Duoprops. It can go 50smph, but we never do that, too much $$$ LOL!

How much fuel do you use at that speed? And what do you pay for it, he asks enviously!
    See the rainbow not the rain

[ QUOTE ]
    Displacement boats I will agree with but semi-d boats use even more fuel than planing boats at the kind of speeds they're capable of so you could argue that semi-d boats are more susceptible to the red diesel issue, not less. Some owners might buy semi-d boats and plan to cruise them at d speeds but my guess is that most thrash along at planing speeds just like the rest of us

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so true, every GB which has a semi planning hull (not SD as most think) I see is always cruising at 20 knots

it is also true what you say about depreciation from a certain point of view, production for new boats is always on high demand.
    One of the reasons for this is that unlike 10/20 years ago all the big famous brands have so much an international market, so a crisis in the UK cause of the red diesel issue might affect but not as much as one might think....
    I think yacht builders are passing a period of gold which might go on for another 10/15 years, unless a big crisis hits the world
    the main reasons are the following:
    - on global terms the world is getting richer
    - nearly everyone wants a boat 2/1
    - the sea is one of the only place where there is space

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast