Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Poole Lifting Bridge - Air draught?

Hi,

I was considering going to Cobbs Quay marina at some point, but the Poole lifting bridge is in the way. I know there is an air draught indicator, but typically, what is the range of air draught?

Would an S28 fit underneath?

dv.

Frontier is offline Registered User

Default Re: Poole Lifting Bridge - Air draught?

It looked like even cuddy's were hanging about waiting for it to open when we were there the other week.

Gulp, Thanks for that.

Will aim for opening times, then [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Frontier is offline Registered User

I am not saying they couldnt get under, but I think your boat may be too big. It has boards on the side that sort of block it. (not your boat of course [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) Anything with a cabin probably gets stuck.

You could ask them, apparently they have installed a display

http://www.phc.co.uk/NTM_09_07.pdf

Good luck

D

Ifraser is offline Registered User

very roughly it varies from under 2m to 3.5 metres. S28 may well get under at low water but probably not at high... cheers Iain

Hi - we were at Cobbs for 3 yrs with our S28 and we never managed the bridge - no hope with the nav gear although our goal posts were higher than normal for some reason ! Do not risk it - a friend risked it with his Bavaria 30 ( brand new) and had a smashing time - he was a local as well.

Air draught of S28 to top of light is 3.23m so you can go through the bridge at 1.1m tide height, to the top of S28 arch not inc light is 2.7m so with light through the centre of beams on tide height of 1.7m the boat will go through

[ QUOTE ]
    Air draught of S28 to top of light is 3.23m so you can go through the bridge at 1.1m tide height, to the top of S28 arch not inc light is 2.7m so with light through the centre of beams on tide height of 1.7m the boat will go through

[/ QUOTE ]

Just be sure that the water is smooth and you're not going to bounce around in some elses wake as you go through though....

We have been under the bridge many times on a S28 at these tides and all has been ok,

i've been under many times,
    rule is if you can see the 3rd horzontal beam you can get thru but must have light tower centred thru the gaps
    i do it quite a bit
    jetski passed me once and his wash put me off, scraped the spot light, no damage but cant get blue bridge paint of top of the light !
    there used to be chap with windy who would drift thru on the tide sidways as his whole radar arch passed thru the beams !
    go for it
    sunshine on a rainy day...