Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Canal in sportscruiser

Navigating the Forth & Clyde Canal and possibly Union Canal in a 25ft sportscrusier... Good idea or not?

People seem to do this sort of thing in Canada (trent-severn waterway, etc) all the time.

Obiously it would depend if I could get the boat to run slowly enough but I suppose I could change the prop to drop the tickover speed if necessary.

Simon

Default Re: Canal in sportscruiser

i'm not too familiar with those canals but i had a small 'norman' running a large HP outboard on a couple of canals for a while.
    You need to check the minimum width of the canal (namely the locks) and the width of your boat. The narrowest locks in the UK will be too narrow for your boat.

Regarding the engine.. my current 23ft with 200hp sterndrive was ok on the broads but a very small nudge on the throttle was showing over 4kts.

Dropping the size of the prop a few sizes would surely help that no end.

Other than that i think it should be fine..

oh and check the air-draught of the bridges on the canals with that of your sports cruiser..

regards,

Nick

Aardee is offline Registered User

And be careful where you moor - Canal towpaths tend to be a magnet for scrotes!!
    The artist formally know as Mystique.

Thx Nick

I think the canal was originally built to accomodate small steamers, hence the idea in the first place, as I assumed width and bridge height would not be an issue. I'm bored at work so I'm checking the waterscape website now.

Simon

Been through the F&C with a 26' sailboat and no real problems. If you intend leaving the canal on the east side then you'll have to judge the tide correctly to pass under a bridge and pipes crossing the canal but still leave yourself clear of the bottom and enough time to get where your going. Download the http://www.waterscape.com/boating/pdfs?id=2590
    If you don't like something, change it.
    If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    Don't complain.

Maya Angelou - US author & poet (1928 - )

http://www.appletreebandb.co.uk
    http://www.bedandbreakfastprestwickayr.co.uk

i agree on that one.. you do have to be careful with where you moor. Some parts of canals are fantastic quiet places. Others attract the Vicki Pollard gang...

met a couple last year who done the forth & clyde in a searay 280 - radar arch just made it through one bridge in particular.

the best bit about the tale was when thay got to maryhill locks the lock-keepers told them not to stop & ushered them :through pronto [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

i say a check your air draught as the forth and clyde
    has a drop lock,and several low road bridges.
    (steamers long gone) also mystique spot on
    not all canalside animals have 4 legs ,
    as for speed signs say 4knots,if your boat
    is ok at that speed now then unless you are
    intending to do a lot of canal cruising changing the
    set up for a trip that non stop takes 2 days or less
    seems hardly worth while.

that said the falkirk wheel is well
    worth seeing.good picts to be had.
    old enough to know better, too old to care

can you control the boat at low speeds. Biggest problem is entering the locks where you run the risk of clobbering the knuckles which have no problem doing damage to shiny gelcoat.

Can you fit an outboard or would it be out of reach?????
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

I think the canal was originally built to accomodate small steamers, hence the idea in the first place, as I assumed width and bridge height would not be an issue. I'm bored at work so I'm checking the waterscape website now.
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''

Wrong.....

The original canal was bridgeless.....well swing bridges...

There are now numerous bridges and I believe the max air draft is 9 ft

John
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.