Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default coolant problem - any ideas?

whilst out on a run round the bay we took the engines up to 24knots - tamd 63ps and suddenly the alarm went offand clouds of steam started to appear around the engine hatch.

i closed down both engines straight away and steam was billowing out the hatch. it looks as though all the coolant dumped itself out of the engine. managed to get back on other engine ok.

engineer out tomorrow but any ideaswhat would cause such a thing to happen?
    all engine temps ok prior to increasing speed and we were only at full speed for around 1 minute.

thanks

Default Re: coolant problem - any ideas?

Happened to me last week, thermostate buckled in it's housing which stopped it from opening, check it out, might save you a lift out
    DEDICATED WELSHMAN!!

Strange that could be impeller gone, is water flowing out of exhaust? stats dont usually play up on 63s steam was no doubt water coming out of filler cap under pressure, if the impeller has gone then you may have damaged the rubber exhaust hose as well, presume scott will sort it, off out now let me know how you get on back on forum tom nite, pm sent.

Maybe a hose has come loose, happened to me once.

thanks everyone . impeller theory sounds a good one. will let you know what we find. pretty scary when it happened so just calmling nerves with a strong drink:::::

Seadee is offline Registered User

Bet ya a tenner (not a large Italian one ..) that it's your impeller. Happened to me last year. Shot down to a fishing mark, no problembos on the way down, left it to the last minute to get back for the bridge lift, shot back at top notch, ooops turkish bath off Lowestoft. Scarey isn't it. I found that the friendly Nanni serive engineer (who'd been to my boat two weeks previous) had noted "impeller OK" but when I removed it as part of the lengthy diagnosis it was "set" and even worse one of the vanes was set in the wrong direction. He'd never taken it out - only the 400 it cost me to give him a day out at the marina. Changed the impeller, topped up the coolant, been as good as gold ever since.

Fret not - diesels are forgiving [img]/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

CD [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Just a beer drinker with a fishing problem.
    Anglers Anonymous.

Ah, that's a real shame Martyn.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.
    Keep your sunny side up :-)

well 10 out of 10... it was the impeller; seems it had seperated from the metal barrell and stopped spinning. only replaced in january.

now the engineer is trying to fit a new one on the starboard engine which is a little hard to get to.

next job is try and stop alarm going off and see if any other damage such as gasket or exhaust.

fingers crossed......

still got problem with alarm going off but engines seem fine. now dismantling exhaust to see if sesnsor or something else is knackered......

RogerRat is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    well 10 out of 10... it was the impeller; seems it had seperated from the metal barrell and stopped spinning. only replaced in january.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, Don't believe it!!! They didn't change it January or it would be ok. They just told you so. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I changed mine at 100 hours just to be sure and they're like new and perfect as spares.

I guessed it would be starboard one, bitch to get at but easy enough if you take the sofa seat and floor panel out. Ask Col! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    If you're passing say Hi. It's probably Schnapps o'clock.