Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Default Re: Fisher 46 - First in 15 years!

She looks tough [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

The round window is an interesting styling detail but the wheelhouse must be a wonderful space.

Something about it reminded me of another famous greyhouse.

I am coming around to the Hans Christian, but to be honest I prefer the wheelhouse of the Fisher, more 'British' maybe. As an ex-fisherman (boy..skivvy), I love the fishers and the like. The yacht that Ken cooo'd at earlier, I just don't get it, nice boat n all that, but if there was a fisher nearby I would be gaping at that.

I have to say I prefer the standard layout on the 46, I like the full walk around deck the earlier boats had, I can't be doing with up and down decks. Compared to the fisher, the Hans Christian does not 'look' as tough, she may very well be, but she is somewhere between a yacht and a trawler whereas the fisher is somewhere between a trawler and yacht. I could imagine the fisher would tow quite nicely, I wonder if they would put a gantry on her?

OTOH, the Hans wheelhouse inside is very much larger, I have been looking at both and just can't make my mind up on this. I don't like the idea of 'living' in the wheelhouse, I sort of prefer that to be more functional. Living up there I imagine attracts clutter in the hub of the boat. It would also need dainty curtains in the wheelhouse, of a trawler? The round port holes though, most unfortunately are what makes me squint, though I am sure cutting them out and fitting square windows should not be too difficult, the ones in the stern are fine.

The one thing the hans does have in common with the fisher, there are none for sale. Well, actually there is/was one fisher on the market. If I go this way it will mean leaving the housing market, so bigger is better, maybe seeing both boats back to back is in order.

anyway, I should be dreaming in bed not in here, night night.

Another thing about HC's is that it's very easy to plan passages, you just work on an average speed of 4kts. In fact you can simply plaster a "4.0 kts" sticker over the log and be done with it. And another saving, you don't need a GPS either cos with typical brisk UK tides you'll actually never move over the ground. Easy.

Wingdiver - very nice indeed!
    Once the sails are back (being slightly re-done), we'll get her tested in various mags. I'm sure their photos will be a little better than my blurred 2MP phone camera efforts!
    Salcombe Flyer 440 with a Mercury 60.

Rob_webb, do you know what an earth are you talking about?!
    Examples from this year -
    We did Fox's to Burnham Yacht Harbour (48 miles I think) in five and a quarter hours, tide assisted a bit of the way.
    The 120 miles across to Holland recently took 16 hours including two locks, the 130 mile return in 15 and a quarter including one lock.
    Work that out if you can!!
    Motoring, we do 7kts at 1300rpm. Max rpm is 2100!
    Some people!
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. -- Steven Wright

Hi
    I have to beg to differ about the clutter thing. We live on board and it is fine.
    That said, some of our sisteships have the galley down below.
    If you want to see more about the HC44 there is a lot of information http://www.geocities.com/svwandrinstar/
    As for rarity, you are right. There were only 15 HC44s made. Not that many more Fisher 46s.
    If you are ever over in the East, feel free to give us a shout.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. -- Steven Wright

We can all cite occasional exceptional examples of great average speed passages.

But my comments are based on:

1. Sailing on HCs

2. Friends who have cruised on them and would never do so again because of the speed issue. They regarded the trade-off between speed and solidity as well beyond the tipping point - they would much rather have an extra 2-3 kts boatspeed to get to the next destination ahead of the storm, rather than be built like a tank in readiness to be stuck out in it. Ask your wife/partner which option she would prefer!

And from HC discussion forums discussing HC 38s:

"We were sailing in 10 knots and under and were easily hitting 5 knots closed hauled under full sail (almost makes me want to do some racing so I can learn to trim like he does)."

"Dave, What kind of head sail do you have? Right now I only have a Yankee and can not make anywhere near that speed with the wind so low."

etc
    etc

Maybe I was being a bit harsh at the 4kts quip. Maybe it's closer to 5. But beating in 10kts of true wind I would expect any decent passage-making 38 foot cruiser to be seeing a log reading of 7kts+ depending on seastate and generating a corresponding 16-17kts over the deck.

I am afraid I find your remarks bizzare.
    I was quoting from actual passages. The trips across the North Sea were over a time scale and in a direction where tide makes no odds and were the only ones of note since the boat was re-rigged.
    I suppose you think I would be better off in a 'racing boat' - if you want to start throwing stones at people for thieir choice of boat!
    And my wife has equal say in everything we do so I find your comment about that to show you are a complete idiot!
    And yes, we would prefer to be in out boat to anything else we have ever come across that we could afford.
    Could your vessel outrun a storm? Of course not. So what's the point of that argument.
    And, in case you haven't noticed we are a 44 pilothouse not a 38.
    Please keep your stupidity to yourself!

Well I think both Fisher and HC look purposeful in a trawler sort of way, but I couldn't live with either to be fair. I'm an outdoor sailor and the wheelhouse would make me feel clautraphobic and trapped. Plus the severe lack of sailing performance would drive me nuts

But one man's meat is another's poison and I can understand that others have different priorities in a boat. You would probably look at my boat and decide that it's a million miles away from what you like

Chill out, it's not a big deal if people are critical