Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I couldnt believe my ears and eyes.

Been out sailing the last two days. Got strong armed into being part of a racing crew in a 30 footer. Spent 10 hours on the foredeck pulling ropes and battling with spinnakers, poles and guys.

One incident sticks in my mind.

We were bowling along nicely at about 5kts when a 60 foot mobo approaches. He was doing maybe 25kts - but passed at least 250 yards abeam.

To my utter amazement, my co-foredeck-hand leaps up and rushes to the side of the boat and starts shouting abuse and waving his hat wildly at the Mobo. (Who, thankfully, totally ignored him).

When he returned to the foredeck, I asked him in my most sarcastic voice if he felt better after his outburst. He replied in total sincerity that he did and failed to even spot the sarcasm.

And the Mobos crime was of course three things:-

a) Being a big Mobo
    b) Being within a mile of us
    c) Having a wash

With our 5 knot way on - we fairly rushed through his wake and it probably only deprived us of a tenth of knot boat speed.

I made a mental note to never crew with the guy again, life is just too short and I like to enjoy my boating whether it be under sail or power............

Default Re: I couldnt believe my ears and eyes.

Well said AM
    Luckily, here in the Bristol Channel we have no such animosity.
    My pontoon neighbour owns a lovely, classic looking sailing boat, and is a perfect gentleman. Full of good advice and he loaned me his hoover (Dyson)! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    See the rainbow not the rain

Well said and thanks for posting.

I`ve had that in the solent where I have passed at a distance on the plane and been waved to slow down, when the weather is at a 6 and my wash isn`t going to make any difference considering the seastate….
    I suspect it could be due to fear causing an over reaction….

Funnily enough, I passed a flotilla of kayaks yesterday so came off the plane and passed them at ten knots 200 metres away. Lead kayaks raised hand in thank you, which has never happened before.

Of course, I produced less wash on the plane, but then, that is something raggies and canoeists don't understand.

Sometimes canoeist will do just the opposite and wave you to speed up so they can have a bit of fun in your wake….suppose it depends on their level of experience

Shouting changes nothing, (other than giving you a heart attack), whether the mobo affects you or not - I just let them get on with it and turn into the wake when it arrives.

I wonder if he shouts at the fast cat ferries, or the big ferries that create big washes at even low speed - I'd guess not.

Sounds like he's got some kind of chip on his shoulder to do with mobos.
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Lakesailor is online now Registered User

You're absolutely right. All you can ask is that MOBOs dip under your stern. Having opinions about distance and speed is pretty pointless.

[ QUOTE ]
    Sometimes canoeist will do just the opposite and wave you to speed up so they can have a bit of fun in your wake….suppose it depends on their level of experience

[/ QUOTE ]

Trainees out of Plas Menai training school.

I'd thank you, its not really the wash so much as the perception when sat in a kayak that you havn't been seen and risk being run over.

Its frightening with some boats that sit very nose high on the plane, as the helms view must be 200m in front in some cases, so you dissappear from view whilst you're still a very small target.

When I've been crossing open water and see a boat approaching either a large change in course or dropping off the plane lets you know you've been seen and you can start looking for the next boat or ship.

So thanks Major.