Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Can a holding tank fill itself or is somebody living on my boat?

First you have to decide wether its filling with salt sea water or fresh water, simply put your finger and taste it!

Sound like your seacock it faulty and evan though the handle turns the ball in side does not. Ball valves can fail after a few years) With the tank low down the water with capirally and cause a syphon back into the tank

Putting your finger in amongst floating turds is hardly an option. Needs sampling further down tank, rather than surface.

markdj is offline Registered User

Mmmm, lovely.

Out of interest, we have 4 flexible diesel tanks and a manifold then pump with 2nd manifold to each main fuel tank. While sitting at anchor, overnight, the slight rocking managed to empty our main tank of 80 gallons of fuel. It was quite disconcerting in the morning till we saw that the valves were still open!

jotheboat is offline Registered User

Is the tank purely a black waste tank?
    Does any grey go ito it; shower for example?
    If the shower (or basin whatever) is dripping it may be the cause. An intermediate 'mini-tank' with a float switch is designed to empty automatically if you have a drip / leak to stop the shower itself overflowing.
    A check of freah-water level would give a clue as previously suggested.

mikef is offline Registered User

Brendan, it is difficult to tell. I've had the inspection hatch off the top of the tank and the top layer is definitely effluent. I'm also fairly sure that the top of the tank is above the waterline so I can't see how seawater can be leaking back into the tank and filling it to near the top

No deck pump out fitted so it can't be that. We leave the water tank as near empty as possible when we leave to avoid the water festering for weeks/months

volvopaul, I reckon the top of the holding tank is above the waterline so it could'nt fill with seawater to the top IMHO

jotheboat, we have a separate greywater tank on our boat

You might have an anti syphon loop....But is the syphon break at the top of the loop unblocked. If this is blocked abd the tank is below sea level within your boat then the water will have no problem syphoning back in. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Check your air vent and filter is clear as this could help start the syphon process if partially blocked and causing a partial vacuum after draining the tank.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

jfm is offline Registered User

Not a lot to add to the previous replies. Baffling.

Happened on our boat when new but it was the tank backfilling with sea through the discharge pipe. We don't have an antisyphon loop (deliberately, I specced it that way) and the whole tank is under waterline and folks forgot to close the discharge seacock. Cured this by fitting an elec seacock and warning system

If you have an antisyphon loop in the discharge pipe have you checked the little air-admittance valve at top of loop is working? These are highly prone to seizing, cos obviously gungy macerated [--word removed--] flows along the pipe.

What type/make of toilets have you got?

You could eliminate the backfill scenario by closing the dump seacock when you leave the boat, and eliminate the "folks using it" scenario by turning the heads diverter valves to sea not tank when you leave the boat