Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Interesting trip back?

We lost 2 spinny hallyards due to unknown source of chafe in the masthead, arrived in record time in the drizzle, genny would not furl, snapped furling line in the process, genny would not come down, engine had a hissy fit on the middle of the harbour entrance, eventually managed to get the sail down, cabin now filled with wet sails, we were exhausted but a great sail!

Default Re: Interesting trip back?

What time did you leave / arrive
    We left at 6 BST and crossed the chain ferry at about 19:30. Fast for me.

We left at 7 and arrived at 5 - quite an adventure! Good to catch up - I'll make sure I keep a look out for you (season pretty much finished for us now with all the genny problems - SWMBO needs a rest!)

duncan is offline Registered User

Thought I saw your tender on your mooring Sat when I went past - what were the conditions like in the morning on the way back? Could Phaeton have run back early on the plane or did it get up pretty quickly?

We ended up fishing about 1/3 of the way to Cherbourg on Sat but the forecast for Sunday dictated we head N not South when we pulled the anchor this year!

got up to about 25kn SW and quite lumpy but comfortable on a broad reach - don't know whether you would have been happy on the plane..

duncan is offline Registered User

thanks - would certainly be unhappy off it at about 6 knots with the sea overtaking me!

looks like the right call anyway - it was your turn to have the conditions after the oily millpond of last years return.

BlueSkyNick is offline Registered User

graham took some pictures of L-in-B as we crossed behind you, Nigel. he'll probably send them to you in the next couple of days.

We did 10 hours Cherbourg to Bridge Buoy, but 72 miles over the ground, due to broad reaching and avoiding and dead runs. Too rolly for that.
    was BIGNICK, SkyTalk, MoodyNick in the past.

[ QUOTE ]
    due to broad reaching and avoiding and dead runs. Too rolly for that.

[/ QUOTE ] So you can't sail up wind or dead down wind ... I thought you'd bought a boat not a soap dish!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Btw - thanks for the use of your hose on Sat, I was going to offer you my assistance in squirting it down your forehatch, but your crew returned [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Cheers!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

BlueSkyNick is offline Registered User

Like I said before, I have more than one option in choosing point of sail, so am able to go for a more favourable one. Sorry to read you and brother were so poorly, though.
    was BIGNICK, SkyTalk, MoodyNick in the past.

Ah - but the question is .... did you get your cruising chute up?

I'd got the lines out the bottom of the locker, but didn't bother [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Maybe we should've done for the morning .... but I didn't really want to blow it out as it is quite a light weight sail ...

I beat my record from last year - 3 times last year ... 4 this year (Little bro was counting - I'd given up!) ... it's not really a problem as I know I'll get sick so don't bother trying to stop it once I've started feeling bad ... but other than a dodgy stomach I was quite happy to take the helm ... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I heard someone else was ill on the way over too .. ? But that it was caused by black stuff and not the green stuff ...