Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    B175Chris is offline Registered User

Default Re: Some advice please? :)

If you can save hard for a year you could end up with an entirely different class of boat really - just make sure you dotn forget costs of gadgets and safety equipment, which will cost almost as much as the boat! ;grin:

If I had the last few years to start again I'd wait a year and read forums over and over until i knew exactly what to look out for!
    "It's not that I think I'm better than you, it's just I'm a bit cleverer than you need to be to work here."

"Wolfie's got a BTEC."

"Exactly."

I think Jeanneau have some open weekends comming up..at Universal on the Hamble and Salterns in Poole. Should have the Cap Camarat's on show and maybe the chance to sea trial?

Have you thought about a RIB?

More space than a bowrider, cheaper, seaworthy, more fun too.

Did you see at the show one of the console manufacturers has come up with a console which folds down to reveal a galley. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

RogerRat is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    If you can save hard for a year you could end up with an entirely different class of boat really

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, he's talking about £20, 000 squid and you're saying go and save some more! If he saves another £20K, there will always be a better boat just out of reach.

If you're hung up on a 'new ' boat, your choice will be limited. It's been mentioned that a cuddy will give you pretection but at the loss of seating, this is not a bad thing as in perfect weather you'll see six+ people on these little day boats, but in reality they should be limited to four and two if its rougher weather.

I'm no expert in this area but there are a lot of Ribs like the 4 metre Avon Searider that act as auxilliary coastguard, look quite cool especially when compared to a 'Cap Camarat'! (just personal opinion)

In your budget and for fun use I would say look to Ribs for both fun and safety. There's quite a lot of experienced folks on here that instruct to 'Power Boat -2' on ribs and could well advise a make, size and appropriate engine size.

They also hold their value well when compared with a bow-rider. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Ooops, beaten to it. Can't believe it took so long for a Rib to get mentioned! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    If you're passing say Hi. It's probably Schnapps o'clock.

mikef is offline Registered User

Agree with that. You see a lot of Cap Camarat boats in the Med and others with similar high bows. They seem to take a choppy sea very well. I think the walkround style and small cuddy makes a lot of sense in the Med

If this boat was being sold for use in Europe then it must have CE certification. If it is a lakeboat then it would be class D where you need a minimum of class C.

Do you know what class it is actually plated to as this will give a clue. If no CE plate then the boat is not RCD compliant but expect it is.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

"lake boat" is a USA term. it doesnt mean the boat is restricted to the lake in the local park; some pretty massive lakes in the USA. But every boat is built to some design purpose, and the idea here is a low, sporty fun in the sun boat in smooth waters-ie, if you can waterski and wakeboard on the day, thats the sort of conditions. If you look out to sea and think there s no way to ski, then its probably fair to say the boat is going to be giving the passengers a pretty uncomfortable and possibly alarming time. I think the boat is medium V, good for skiing, but think of a flat plate landing in the water, or a sharp V shape landing in the water, and you can picture whats going to happen as soon as the chop gets up at sea.
    There isnt anything wrong with bowriders in themselves, though the bigger ones are far better. In sheltered waters and sunny days, they are excellent for beaches and bay hopping.
    Buying the wrong boat is expensive and upsetting. My suggestion is cancel and take a look at popular boats in the area. If you are sure this is the boat for you, you can always start again... but once you have the boat.. there's no going back. One thing.. however sexy your boat looks on the trailer, you will have far, far more pleasure from a boat that works well where and how you want to use it than you will from one that looks the part, but is totally impractical.

Just caught up with this one. I own a Maxum 1800 and use it in the Solent where there is a famous nasty chop most of the year. Yes we get wet at times but it is mostly down to how it is driven. We are cautious about the conditions before we go out. Having said all that we've really enjoyed blatting about and although we get wet from the spray we've never shipped enough water to be concerned.

For a fun day boat bowriders are fine, just don't expect to go too far offshore or to go out in the rough stuff.

sparex is offline Registered User

Yes, we too own a Maxum 1800 and use it mainly as a ski boat and as a runabout, never going to far out to sea, mainly used in a large inlet where it doesnít get too choppy.
    As said before 'what do you intend to use it for?' if its skiing etc its ideal as you wont be skiing in any rough weather.
    Like anything a bit of 'common sense' should prevail, if the weather is not suitable donít go out and if the weather changes for the worst while under way make for home or the nearest safe haven, remember you wont be going too far anyway - you wont have the range.
    It was our first boat - really enjoyed it - learned a lot from it - and we still use it.
    That my opinion for what its worth!!!!

I ve had 18+24ft bowriders, and the difference is enormous. I enjoyed both and had alot of fun boating and trailing about.
    I m a big fan- and there arent many of us on here! No, you arent likely to drown within a month, and they are NOT totally unsuited to our waters. There is a reasonable argument though, that its worth taking a look at other types of boat too, if only to be aware of what compromises you may be making.
    My advice to pull out of the deal was that he seems unsure if its a good idea or not to buy this boat... that should be enough of an alarm bell anyway. And if he still wants a bowrider, I think a larger deadrise might be a help.
    In fact, dont buy new, and buy bigger.