Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Why do people want weather stations

I have a small Aldi weather station and an old fashioned metre of mercury, cant get much more accurate for measuring pressure. The Aldi station is never more than 1 mb adrift from the mercury. As for life threatening decisions, if you feel that way then you should really consider staying at home and spending your time writing to the newspapers every time there is an accident involving an outdoor activity and requesting that the government pass new laws to ban said activity.

As for forumites boasting about weather station ownership, cant see why they would.
    If you don't like something, change it.
    If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    Don't complain.

Maya Angelou - US author & poet (1928 - )

http://www.appletreebandb.co.uk
    http://www.bedandbreakfastprestwickayr.co.uk

[ QUOTE ]
    As for forumites boasting about weather station ownership, cant see why they would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me either, why do you think this?

There was a certain amount of tongue in cheek, but I do think for sailors as apposed to hobby forecasters, or just seeing what the temp is outside, a degree of trust in the equipment is required. I am not suggesting buying the most expensive either, but I personally would rather have tried and trusted brand or as said by another, a pine cone or even hanging seaweed on the fence.

Dogs are MUCH better than cats.

Mine forecasts rain whenever the pressure is falling, completely disregarding the relative humidity. Needs wor!

Stemar is offline Registered User

SPeaking as a pauper sailor, I got mine 'cos it was cheaper than a replacement for the knackered (and rusty!) anaeroid baroneter that Jissel had when I bought her.

At the price, I thought the Aldi job was worth a try & it's been accurate to +_ 1mb ever since and hasn't needed recalibration more often than it needs the batteries replacing - every year or so. For my needs, it's great - I needed the barometer, the other toys are a bonus.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.