Thread: Braid on braid

Default Braid on braid

I am just about to buy 250 metres of the above.
    Does anyone know anywhere cheaper than Jimmy Green?

Thanks,

Glynn

Talbot is offline Registered User

Default Re: Braid on braid

Try direct to liros, but purchasing complete reels which I think are 100m, but might be wrong!
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
    Robert A Heinlein

Ropeloft.co.uk have good prices too...

MM5AHO is offline Registered User

Geoff

Thanks Guys,

I am just a bit confused about the difference between braid on braid and doublebraid. Any help

Glynn

Doublebraid is a trademark. Braid-on-braid is a description.

Both the same thing ( I think )

VicS is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    Doublebraid is a trademark. Braid-on-braid is a description. Both the same thing ( I think )

[/ QUOTE ] Yes "Doublebraid" is a Marlow name see http://www.marlowropes.co.uk/public/...fm?page_id=142 of Marlows website
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

Doublebraid, braid on braid and many many more are basically the same thing. Doublebraid is not a trade name but a generic one for ropes of that construction.

The thing you do need to check out though is which doublebraid. Polyester over Spectra, polyester over nylon, polyprop over vectran and the list goes on for a very long time. All of these ropes can be and are called by many as double braid.

Don't buy exclusively on price as it many very well bite you right on the botty. The price ranges will appear large and for many good reasons. The chandlery mark-up only being one part of it and often just a small part. There are many grades of yarn used in rope making. Some good and marine freindly and some more clothing targetted which are not marine freindly. There are also many grades of manufacturer as well. There are ways of making a double braid cheaper during manufacture (excluding material quality) which for some applications is perfectly fine but for others it's not. There is even some double braids around that are actually braid over folded paper, while looking real good and cheap they are definately not good in a marine application.

Buy a recognised manufacturer made rope i.e Marlow, Liro, Gliestein, Regatta, Donaghys and many more.

If it's bloody cheap make sure the price isn't equal to the quality, it often is. Also if you want 250mts of it talk deals as in "can I make it up in differing colours", often chandleries will do deals like that on numbers like that.

Also know what rope you want before you go in i.e Polyester over Spectra for main or headsail halyards and so on. That way you will be less likely to be talked into a rope you don't want or have to pay more for.

Yes, I do sell ropes including about 30 differing types of doublebraids, maybe more.