Default Treadmaster Paint

Our Treadmaster is now around fiften years old and although still serviceable it is quite porous, despite regular cleaning the cracks fill with dirt and the effect is unsightly. Has anyone tried Treadmaster Paint if so what's the verdict?

jerryat is offline Registered User

Default Re: Treadmaster Paint

Yep, I bought some from a Forumite who had some left and I applied it to my Treadmaster without much expectation. Well, we have been astonished at the result.

I put two coats on (it's very thin - like water, hence my comment above) but is now in it's third year and looks like the day I put it on. It's a hideous price but, based on my experience, I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

Most people think I've replaced the Treadmaster!

Thanks for that, I will give it a go, any advice?

I've used it too - its excellent, and easy to apply but I would make sure you clean the old treadmaster thoroughly as i can see where i've painted over stuff that should have been cleaned out from between the diamonds!

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for that, I will give it a go, any advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition to Burnham B's advice, I used CIF household cleaner to thoroughly scrub the whole surface clear of oils, grease and other dirt.

I followed this with lots of clean water and allowed it to completely dry. A tip you might consider worth following is to put tape on the grp as tight to the edges of the Treadmaster as possible. The paint is very thin and it's easy to get it on the grp unless you have a very steady hand. Provided you wipe it off straight away that's not a problem, but I found it easier to use tape.

Don't try to put too much on per coat, it's far better to do two coats than have any variation in colour/density.

I'm sure you'll be delighted with the results, so good luck.

Thanks to both of you for replying. At one stage I had considered replacing all the Treadmaster but that really was a job too far as there is loads of it. Painting it is then!!

Oh, should have mentioned that the stuff, because it's so thin I suppose, goes a hell of a long way. The amount used on my boat was miniscule and I have enough left to do it at least once again, and I only had a small quantity from a fellow forumite, not a whole can.

They seem to be very pessimistic on the quantity needed per SM.