flinesse is offline Registered User

Default Anchor make-over?

After 2 years very heavy use, my Bruce anchor is looking pretty sad. It's rusting around the tips of the flukes where they have obviously have had to work hardest and the rust is running down the stem, leaving a very unsightly stain.
    Is it possible to have the anchor recoated or do I have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.
    Can anyone recommend an outfit that tackles this sort of work?

Default Re: Anchor make-over?

I had galvanising work done by Hayling Trailers Ltd at a reasonable price a few years ago. [They subcontract it to galvanising firm in kent, I think].

I am surprised that it is in that state after two years, even with heavy use. Is it a genuine Bruce?

Ian

You could contact Wessex Galavanisers and get a price for hot dipping the anchor.
    They are at Tower Industrial Estate, Tower Lane, Eastleigh, Hampshire SO50 6NZ
    Tel: 023 8062 9952

http://www.wedge-galv.co.uk/

John

Krusty is offline Registered User

It sounds as though you have a Bruce look-alike, not the genuine article.
    If I were in your boots, I would scrap it and go for the of the new generation anchors, Manson Supreme, Rocna, or Spade (in ascending order of cost).
    There is rapidly accumulating experience (mine included) of their worth.

[ QUOTE ]
    After 2 years very heavy use, my Bruce anchor is looking pretty sad. It's rusting around the tips of the flukes where they have obviously have had to work hardest and the rust is running down the stem, leaving a very unsightly stain.
    Is it possible to have the anchor recoated or do I have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.
    Can anyone recommend an outfit that tackles this sort of work?

[/ QUOTE ]I can't recommend an outfit but it can certainly be done without issue. The cost will probably be something in the order of a quid per Kg with a minimum base price.

[ QUOTE ]
    It sounds as though you have a Bruce look-alike, not the genuine article.
    If I were in your boots, I would scrap it and go for the of the new generation anchors, Manson Supreme, Rocna, or Spade (in ascending order of cost).
    There is rapidly accumulating experience (mine included) of their worth.

[/ QUOTE ]Now how could you recommend a Rocna copy in the same paragraph as advising against knock-offs? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

flinesse is offline Registered User

I didn't give the full story: yes it's a genuine Bruce, about 8 years old. However, for the last 2 years we were cruising the the Med and Caribbean, and the anchor was used virtually every day except when we were on passage.
    Can I expect a recoating to be up to the same standard as the original, or is it just likely to be cosmetic ?

Depends on the galvanizer and the current condition of the anchor. If they can adequately clean and prepare the existing coating, it should be okay.

They can also mess up the new galvanizing itself, it isn't a black and white process and without the quality control of the original anchor manufacturer you're taking a punt.

vyv_cox is offline Registered User

Our Delta was looking quite sad after nearly 10 years of use. I painted it with an aerosol of dry-galv paint from a DIY shop and have been pleasantly surprised by the results. The anchor was used this year for virtually every night from May to the end of September and the paint is still intact except for a small area right at the tip. Much less risky than re-galv and far cheaper than a new anchor.
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com

Had my 22 Year old 5 Kg and 7.5 Kg Bruce anchors regalv-ed 3 years ago at less than 1 per Kg (I think 70 p !). They were in similar sad state, but now standing up very well to regular use. I left them with Kirton Forge (maker of Jacobs Yacht Cradles) who put these in with their weekly order to Galv Works (in Gt Yarmouth I think).

Galv works out cheaper than paint for many items, is maintenance free , v durable and far more effective at rust resistance. I don't know why it isn't more widely used really, as nothing else comes close in the long run.

Going off track a biy, I also made up a good solid Wayfarer launch trolley from scrap - Galv was again around 10 and really good thick coating. Really looks the business now. Must make sure there are drain holes in hollow sections (for Zinc)m and all paint etc is removed (put on bonfire?).