Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats this?

Default Whats this?

Anyone have know what is this (from google earth, just off Bradwell Waterside)?

Steve

Default Re: Whats this?

Often sail past it going into Bradwell. I think it is called the training wall, suspect it is also possibly the cooling water outlet for the power station. It's why it's that funny glowing colour. That photo was actually taken at night.
    Cycling to Bordeaux again for a great kids charity.justgiving.com/bordeauxbrian

What funny colour? All google earth photos are taken in the daytime...

Steve

MrCramp is offline Registered User

I don't think this is a training wall at all. It is the water inlet /outlet for the power station. The nuclear power station ceased working some time ago and I think it is in the long term process of being decommissioned.

The structure has the normal two vertical red lights at each end. If you are shallow draft you can go inside it and I have seen boats anchored inside it. If you are looking for the entrance to Bradwell marina in bad weather it can be a bit unnerving to come across the wall unless you know what it is, and then it is a reassuring sight.

It is the cooling outlet - look at the stream of grey gunk pouring out of the middle on the inside face - tides going out then!
    Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    Robert Green Ingersoll

i thought the station had been shut down? But yes it is the structure I have heard called the "baffle".

Gladys is online now Registered User

It is the baffle. As said above, the water inlet/outlet, now very rusty. The station is now defuelled, but whether cooling water has stopped being pumped around, who knows?
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

tjbrace is offline Registered User

I think it's an old photo, probably when the station was operational. Just across the river is West Mersea, where I live, and my house doesn't show our conservatory which was built 5 years ago.

ditchcrawler is offline Registered User

When i was stuck in Bradwell once(bad weather) I did the tour of the power station.The water coming out of the outlet is 15degrees warmer than when sucked in.Hence the size of fish at the Green Man Pub
    They started to dismantle the wall but stopped.Rumour has it that the station is mothballed but may be be in line to be active again depending on how the nuclear/energy arguement goes.

[ QUOTE ]
    Hence the size of fish at the Green Man Pub

[/ QUOTE ]

... and the 3 eyes and glowing fins [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]