Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest MBM

Default Re: Latest MBM

Oldgit,

I know that we were sparring partners a while ago, but don't give me that rubbish about only needing to open one gate... What about the next boat along, which happens (as in my case) to be a seven-and-a-half-tonner, single crewed, with the only crew-member trying to enjoy a holiday!

I was NOT amused on the Medway. Every lock I came to was set in my favour, but with only one gate open. Thus, I had to moor downstream of every single one, get off, open the other gate, motor into the lock, shut down etc etc. Damn rudeness. If they can't be courteous to larger boats, let's weld one of every pair of doors in place, and close the navigation to anything over six foot beam.

Bear in mind my orignal reaon for visiting the Medway was to evaluate it as a river to buy a property with moorings on, and install Mrs Alpha etc as riverside dwellers while keeping the boat going. We're at Bray now (on the Thames) and, broadly, happy with our lot.

My main gripe is with poorly-researched magazine articles which show all the potential plus points without raising a single one of the valid negatives.

hlb is offline Registered User

yes I did say that. And thats true. He was in a SL28-30 ish 1989 same year as mine. God it was rough. Never see n abat that had gone sso far in as bad a condtion

<font color=red> No one can force me to come here-----------
    ----- I'm a Volunteer! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Haydn

yes I did say that. And thats true. He was in a SL28-30 ish 1989 same year as mine. God it was rough. Never seen aboat that had gone so far in as bad a condtion

Haydn

Was that the guy you were tutoring when I jumped on board in Dielette harbour?

Dom

I am boating again ;-)
    Dom

I dont know. I ceap hearing about me on Mb. I dont know why, what have I done. Am I a sulebrutie or a failed forum member

Haydn

boatone is offline Registered User

A touch over sensitive perhaps? Wot about the narow beam boat that comes along after you and therefore needs to close BOTH gates instead of just one? Can understand mild irritation in both cases but still better than arriving to find lock set against you !
    Mind you, on River Wey Navigation think Im right in saying the guidelines require both gates to be opened and shut regardless of beam - less likely for narrow beam boats to cause damage to gates by trying to squeeze thru just one.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boatsontheweb.com/galleryframes.html> BoatsOnTheWeb and Boaters Photo Gallery</A>
    Thames MotorBoater? Care about the river? Join the www.tmba.org.uk/about-tmba