Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sailing to Ireland II

The thread on this topic earlier this morning reminded me that I'd like to do this next year. But from Plymouth. Can anyone suggest hints for a good passage plan - I am especially interested in actual experience. Aiming to the south coast of the Emerald isle: where would YOU go?

MoodySabre is offline Registered User

Default Re: Sailing to Ireland II

The Isles of Scilly are worth a visit if the weather is reasonable and you have a pilot book. Stunning bays and beaches. Then all you got to do is pretend you're in the Fastnet! Gulp [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
    Not all who wander are lost

galadriel is offline Registered User

I did it from Gosport to Cork a few years ago, we passed Plymouth.

The passage was fairly straight forward, the obvious ports of refuge were factored in, but once we rounded Longship LH, we felt committed to Cork, of course in truth we wern t, we still had Padstow etc.

With SW winds that we had the wind was on the beam, so although a big rolling sea with a chop on top from the F5-6 we had a great sail. What was more tiresome was the beating into the SWly up to Longships.
    "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
    Roger Waters 1972

We left Waterford in June, went to Hugh Town, Scillys, 30hrs, thats probably the shortest passage, but if you want to cruise further West it would be a big advantage to aim much further West, Cork, Kinsale or Baltimore. A stop at the Scillys would make a nice two hop trip if you are shorthanded.

Thanks everyone so far: we've been to the Scillies and we know how nice they are - there will be a strong temptation to remain there. Which point would you aim for in S Ireland for a first visit, though?

The 1601 in Kinsale, then Mary-Anne's in Castletownsend and then Murph's in Baltimore.

Simon

I would go to Dunmore East. That was my forst (note the Irish Accent) stop when I sailed over from Milford Haven a few years ago.
    Martin

I'd probably head for Kinsale if the wind was in the right direction - nice Marina - excellent restaurants - but not cheap - stay for a night or so and then head W

Or if wind allowed I might be tempted to go further W (e.g. Baltimore direction) - so you could work your way back E. Lots of places to stop W of Kinsale without paying marina prices. New S&W Ireland crusing guide is well worth it

Depends on always on how long you have and how far you plan to go I guess

galadriel is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    Which point would you aim for in S Ireland for a first visit, though?

[/ QUOTE ]

The entrance to Cork is so easy, I cant imagine anything being easier!

We stayed at the Royal Cork YC, very friendly, good food etc etc.
    "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
    Roger Waters 1972

macd is online now Registered User

The most interesting scenery and most agreeable places begin with Cork harbour, so that's a logical first landfall. Some of the harbours and inlets east of there are shoal and/or dodgy in a blow (but not Dunmore/Waterford). Additionally, prevailing winds are often on the nose if travelling west along the Irish south coast. Obviously you'll base your plans on the forecast at the time, but there's more likelyhood of a good reach from Scillies direct to Cork.

Cork's tenable in amost any conditions, and pretty well everywhere west of there is a delight. Cork entrance is around 130 miles from Hugh Town.
    Mac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast