Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

We have had lovely meals in the restauraunt on Canna. Very friendly and helpful. They gave us a bag of pinhead oats for frying mackrel in as we mentioned we were having difficulty finding some. They arrange pack lunches for walks, have great seafood in the evenings and nice beers and wines. And what a perfect setting. Their only problem is that they close on sundays and mondays.

We had a meal at the Mishdish, Tobermory on Mull, its part of the Mishnish which most visitors to Tobermory will know, The Mishdish sells itself as a very up market establishment and since it was my girl friend's birthday I decided to treat her, big mistake both our meals were terrible, I had a 10 oz fillet steak at 20 and left most of it on the plate, chewy fat , neither meals was worth half the price a very poor show.
    Luckily light was not far away we stopped at Appin the next day and had a lovely meal at the Wheelhouse, mainly seafood, excellent service we had our birthday celebration there.
    Last edited by Neeeil; 15-09-11 at 19:53.

jamesmar is online now Registered User

OK..may be stretching it a bit,but it is still definitely a waterside restaurant...

I took SWMBO(birthday) to our local on Saturday night,The Oak Tree in Balmaha..and had the best sirloin steak ever..She had Arctic Char,which was delicious. Finished off with clootie &custard. Excellent.
    Starter,main course,pud & drinks 42.00

The Three Chimneys near Dunvegan on Skye. A bit pricey but good food. Too far to walk from Dunvegan. You could get a taxi but there's good holding nearby. Need to book ahead.

+1 for the eigg pier cafe----you can tie alongside the old ferry slipway a few yards away from cafe but check you do not obstruct the arisaig ferry----regards lenten

Default Loch Nevis

Surprised nobody has recommended the Old Forge at Inverie "the most remote pub in britain". Owned by the former estate factor use of mooring is free if you buy a meal. Haven't been there for some years (moved south) but have very pleasant memories.

Default West of Scotland, Pub meals

Updates after this years cruising, my list will show that we tend to go for pubs rather than restaurants when cruising and we try to support small island businesses if we can.
    Coll Hotel, bar meal was good but a bit pricey and they insisted on serving us in a little room behind the bar even though we had decided to tie the dog up outside.
    McGoochans, Tobermory, good value bar meals but the Cullen skink while OK, is no longer what it was.
    Gillie Brighde, Canna , home cooked and sourced food, restricted menu as you would expect on a small island, I felt obliged to encourage the obviously much needed cull by having the rabbit pie but it was a bit disappointing, otherwise recommended.
    Community Centre, Rum, the girl that runs the cafe there makes fantastic soup, veggy menu but good and you can get a beer in the adjoining shop, recommended. We heard good reports of the dinners at Kinloch Castle but we did not get ashore in time.
    Stein Inn, Loch Bay, Skye: excellent food, big helpings for hungry sailors, great pub atmosphere and good value; note the visitors moorings are not provided by the Inn but by the Dive Centre, 10.
    Old Inn, Flowerdale, Gairloch. Good food, again generous helpings, nice setting, good food and hospitality, highly recommended. The Mountain Bothy in Strath does interesting lunches, cheery girls but it has not seen a duster since last year (or the year before).
    The Waypoint, Oban Marina, they have extended their menu a bit but it is limited by the facilities, a big tent with radiant heaters over the tables and food mainly from a hotplate, some intersting local beers but only in bottles. OK
    Lock Inn, Fort Augustus, has replaced The Bothy as our favourite place to eat in the village.
    Crinan Hotel, had fish and chips in the bar, both excellent though not the cheapest in the area but they now appear to be trying to serve the hoi polloi. I would have been happy without the white linen table cloth they put on the bar table when we ordered but then perhaps that is inverted snobbery.
    Cairnbaan Hotel, I like it; plenty of interesting specials and well prepared food in a good atmosphere, some of the students who wait on tables could do with cheering up a bit
    The Oystercatcher, Otter Ferry, only an hours sail so we tend to go over on sunny lunchtimes, more moorings this year, good pontoon, great beach and relaxed pub doing good food and ale, recommended.
    there were others but I do not want to criticise a business on the basis of only one visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Admiral View Post
    Surprised nobody has recommended the Old Forge at Inverie "the most remote pub in britain". Owned by the former estate factor use of mooring is free if you buy a meal. Haven't been there for some years (moved south) but have very pleasant memories.
    The Old Forge has changed hands at least once since then and has been up for sale again for over a year; when we were last there in 2010 it was still good. Not sure if it has changed hands yet again but the last owners had made a big contribution to the village and told me they intended to stay there. Not quite so remote since the 'new' pier was built with a frequent service from Mallaig.

Default Wow!

Looks like you've spawned a monster here Webcraft! As well as adding to my "must visit" places for next summer!

Around the office here, the Three Chimneys nr Dunvegan as mentioned before has a very good reputation, if pricey, but it seems the priciness is well deserved for the experience. (not been there myself until I can afford it! )

For those passaging the Caledonian Canal, the Clansman Hotel (Cobbs restaurant) on the shores of Loch Ness is well worth a visit. Traditional style, fantastic food at a fair price and a very relaxed and comfortable establishment. Been there several times and can't fault it. Berthing just out front is for the Jacobite cruise boats, but not sure if the berthing area is available to anyone els when they're not operating...

Oh, and +1 for Quandary's recommendation on the Lock Inn Fort Augustus - Vibrant pub with a local feel and fantastic food.
    Last edited by FishyInverness; 23-11-11 at 11:40.
    My views and opinions are my own and do not represent those of Gaelforce Group.

terry.mcneill is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Cafe Fish, Tobermory

Finest seafood you'll find anywhere, and at some of the most reasonable prices I've seen. Wide menu selection from old favourites to really interesting creations. Great value, friendly cheerful staff. We absolutely love it. Terry, yacht 'Easy Beat'.