Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Boat Sale, Brokers and Prospective Customers !!

Well, sorry to relate Damn has been sold and I'm now big boatless for a bit, still retained a very small interest just to retain mooring 'til March but effectively she's now someone elses! Still got the race boat of course so not Cold Turkey quite yet !!

However I have been watching recent posts re boat selling and brokers etc with keen interest due to this situation. I think I can say that apart from one really superb broker and a delightful couple who purchased boat, the process is a bl88ding shambles.

When I see people asking why sellers leave their boat with kit on it when selling, I could have screamed, it's probably 'cos like me they have cleared, restocked, cleared, restocked the boat so many times and then driven halfway across the country for some ******** to decide they couldn't be bothered that day to view boat or only came to have a nose and a jolly with no intention of buying. Or perhaps they, like us, delight in keeping the boat nice and yet then get the same ********s asking you to consuder offers 20k under an already very reasonable price as theres a similar model (older, smaller engines, kept like cr8p) at such and such a marina!!

Then what about prices, we really studied what we should offer the boat at and then thought knock off a further 10 -15k to attract serious buyers and low and behold what do you get, even more ********s making ridiculous offers, I mean truly ridiculous eg. put a 2003 F43, 550hours, all possible extras, TAMD74's, fully teaked etc up at 199k, always expecting an offer possibly including jetrib to clinch etc, so where does an offer of 140k come from ?? Then to make matters worse keep pestering the hell out of you about you can have deposit today, every other day and by the way they hadn't even visited or seen the boat !!

Have to tell you one set of brokers did my crunch completely. I haven't broadcast too much but suffered a pretty major problem with the old ticker earlier this summer and had to go and have emergency op etc and decided to convalesce on boat for a week, well I tell you, one brokerage (from the Hamble, ex Sealine years ago) nearly put me back in there, rare I lose it completely but they managed it alright!!

On a bright note though I cannot praise all at Hutchins Marine highly enough, Phil and his team there have been an absolute delight to deal with and straight as a die. From enquiry, to viewings, to deal making, to surveying, to final hand over / money dealings, all just an absolute pleasure. No wonder they were able to find such a cracking couple to purchase Damn and do a deal taht all were more than happy with. There is absolutely no doubt about it when I come back into the market after diesel fiasco is all done, I will buy through Hutchins Marine, simple as that!

So next time you think "why do vendors do such and such?" just remember that they are having to deal with the Great British public and probably like me found them, in the main, to be a complete pain in the Butt! Except for the odd exception of course, just try and ensure that you are that exception??

Regards to all. Paul P

Default Re: Boat Sale, Brokers and Prospective Customers !!

Timely post! Have decided to put our Targa 34 up for sale and are currently considering which brokers to use. Sold our last boat through Ancastas who did a pretty good job but they charge high % for non-exclusive deal - and I don't fancy being tied to one broker for 6 months. Did you do an exclusive deal with Hutchins? and can I ask what sort of % they asked for?

Cheers

Andrew

http://www.targa34.com

Hi Andrew,

No Hutchins did not insist on exclusivity, however next time I might consider requesting that myself to ease the pain a bit. They were cheaper on % than others and more than willing to barter on brokerage costs and operated no sale no fee. We were more than happy with the charges we paid and consider they more than earned it! Google Hutchins marine for number or Phil (MD) on 07766051455.

Wish you all the very best wth your sale,

Regards
    Paul

still Planty your post is right, but a few days ago we had another post of brokers not forwarding offers
    so where do we stand on this....
    in the end a Broker should forward all offers and then its the owner who decides?
    You can simply say No Thanks to any offer even if this 10 pounds less, that is up for you to decide

I agree Brokers should pass on all offers, but should actively dissuade stupid offers as they can enrage. Also have a suspicion that some brokers at the "Shark end" of the market are not passing on offers so that vendor will eventually accept silly offer as "no others fortcoming", then broker purchases themselves and sell on later ??.

Brokers act for the Vendor not the purchaser and therefore act to protect the vendor in a way. Their fee comes off the vendors money at the end of the day. I have to say most of my frustration has been born from one particular broker acting more for the purchaser than me, I suspect just to get a sale and thus their fee off me! Tough luck lads!! P

Hi Planty yes hes a good man our Phil, I bought the original school boat St Crispin F36 from Phil. Now I'm also in the brokerage business we do some business together. In fact Phils coming out mid November.

Good luck with your next choice and look after yourself too.

Hey, Planty, you wonder where the offer of 140k for your boat came from. ITS A SEALINE!

PLANTY!!!

Here I sit in my deserted showroom, waiting for Mr & Mrs X to come in and at least express an interest in a 40k kitchen at the moment!

Bit quiet at the minute, still we should all be bloody Christmas shopping by now shouldnt we???

I hate no payers, compensation chasers etc etc too!

As a previous buyer only 6 months or so ago, I would add that certain broikers are seriously........No Very Seriously.............'IFFY' with the truth also.

Jas, the Bedfordhire and Cambridgeshire KITCHEN Magnate! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Buy my cup holders PLEASE! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
    Lovely Fairline Targa 48 For Sale Here.
    http://www.fairlineownersclub.com/fo...tem.php?id=332

Welcome to the world of boat selling, now just imagine you have dozens of boats to sell and cus they are sexy looking whizz machines every bloke and his wife think that lottery ticket is just gonna come trumps on Saturday eve so why not go look at what they are going to spend it on all Sat morning, "yep that's the one for us, we'll send the deposit in Monday!".

Well you'll never guess...............that ticket never came up, cept their story is, the mother in law just fell down the stairs and is in hospital and the treatment at BUPA is going to cost a fortune, we'll get back to you.

There are some right numpty dealers about for sure but Oh my Gawd their are thousands of wasters out there dreaming about their next boat that they are sure can be bought for cheap money cus they think your desperate, er yeah right.

Then they come back in the spring demanding you sell them that boat you had last November but of course its gone so they want a new one, eh no, cus all the sensible people bought a slot last September, so off they go in a huff saying your a useless dealer cus you have no boats to sell.

Thank eck its the weekend, I am fed up this week with wally's.

PS , Apologies to any Mother-in-laws that just fell down the stairs [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Sorry rant over [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I know exactly where you are coming from, and not just from boat sale, try fitting 40+ bathrooms / kitchens for the public each wek, in truth I am getting to hate dealing with all the "tryers" and "compensation chasers". At least once a week you just know as soon as they pay a deposit there at it, we try and give them the deposit back now. Funny how they're not satisfied from day one but "how dare you suggest I might be happier geting another provider!!" Too many TV shows saying in fact "If someone provides a service, they are making a fortune and can afford to give the odd one away, so just try it on!!"

Rant over !! P