Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default \"City of Edinboro\" ex \"William McCann\"

Hi guys,Pritch and Jerry are trying to get back on board this Victorian Hull gaff ketch trawler, which we crewed on years ago,as we heard a rumour she has been recomissioned,or to get in touch with the old skipper Henry,can anyone who knows whereabouts help, thanks Jerry.

Default Re: \"City of Edinboro\" ex \"William McCann\"

City of Edinboro is out of the water, up her own slip in her own fabric building at the Excelsior yard at Harbour Road in Oulton Broad. Certainly not recommissioned but awaiting the results of two grant applications (c400k) to start complete rebuild as a wooden shipbuilding project with the IBTC - who are also on Harbour Road.

If the grants come through completion will inevitably take several years. One grant covers profesional replacement of the keel - which broke whilst parked on a rock in Brittany.

Things are beginning to move but at least the boat's under cover. Borate treatment should go ahead shortly to help prevent deterioration.

In the meantime if you want to sail an authentic east coast trawler you'll haved to sail on Excelsior!

Dr Henry Irving, historian of Hull University and restorer (after a fashion) of commercial sailing vessels.
    He was a drinking buddy of a friend's father. I'll e-mail him and see if he knows his situation (he won't be so young now).
    Another person's thoughts about you are outside of your jurisdiction.

Don't know about "after a fashion"; when the McCann had been converted back to sail after working as a motor trawler (in 1984), I thought she was pretty smart, and everything worked fine. I'm looking at a picture of her now, on her first sail on the Humber, and she looks pretty good. I, too, look forward to sailing on her again - though I'm not sure about going back to tiller steering, which I gather is planned.

The William McCann did have a lot of serious refurbishment done. I remember some of the huge timbers being replaced.
    I was referring to the Venture, really. His previous boat. It was a bit more "rustic" [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hi Jerry I spoke to Henry last week They have just brought a canal cruiser to take into the inland waterways Both he & Polly are very well. Its just the old McCann that languishes .

P.S Henry was a Dr of Geography at Hull not a historian

I thought that, I seemed to remember he'd published books on the subject. Just shows that you can't believe the internetworkweb. He's also been elevated to a knighthood by some book shop sites that are selling his book on mudplugging

Thanks for answering back folks,all good news,Jerry.

Apart from the odd Mission Smack, all East Coast sailing trawlers were tiller steered. Once the sails were balanced, this didn't seem to make a lot of difference - most trawling photos don't seem to have anyone on the helm! Best to keep it authentic. OF

That's true, Frank, but having no engines they didn't go astern under power - I wonder whether this may be a manoeuvre where the tiller steering could be a disadvantage. I was very impressed by Henry Irving's ability to turn the ship in her own length in confined situations, using wheel and engine. In addition, of course, the original smacks stayed at sea for long periods, sometimes over many crew changes, and took a steam tug when they needed to enter or leave port.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast