Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrecks!

ianc1200 is offline Registered User

Default Wrecks!

Actually I don't mean wrecks, but trying to find the right term to use; Where are good places to go to see old boats being restored, or being used as liveaboards, or just gently decaying, on the East Coast.

I went to the Promenade in late September to watch the Maldon Regatta, and noticed something in the creek opposite over towards Heybridge (Heybridge, not Heybridge Basin). Later I drove over and the creek had a barge that the grass was growing through, several abandoned wooden sailing boats, and quite a few 30's - 50's motor cruisers which were being used to live aboard, including a Thornycroft and a Jenny Wren (a standard YW 22' motor boat design from 1946).

Other places I can think of is the yard at St Osyth, and the various yards above the Tidemill Harbour at Woodbridge, along with Andy Seedhouse's boat sales area. Hoo is probally another place to go.

Any suggestions for similar interesting places to go by car?

IanC

MoodySabre is offline Registered User

Default Re: Wrecks!

I thought this was going to be more photos of the laying down supper [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Pin Mill is a nice place to visit anyway but there are lots of boats in various states of decay and if you follow the footpath southwards there are lots of houseboats in various stages of decrepitude.
    Not all who wander are lost

Brightlingsea down by the Colne YC has an area of Maldon boats, well worth seeing, then there is Johnson & Jagos as was down at Leigh On Sea, West Mersea has loads to look at.
    Great Wakering yard always was full of broken dreams.
    Cross the Thames and go into the creeks of Faversham, Conyer & Oare, they have loads, particularly at Iron Wharf.
    Sandwich also has quite a few to look at.
    Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    Robert Green Ingersoll

[ QUOTE ]
    Cross the Thames and go into the creeks of Faversham, Conyer & Oare, they have loads, particularly at Iron Wharf.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oi you being rude about my boat? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Nope, but my Uncle Bob kept a dog of a Dauntless in Iron Wharf, and so did many others of his stamp.
    Is Alan Staley still there? I was very tempted by a Frances 26 he was building in his shed about the time Uncle Bob died ten years ago.
    Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    Robert Green Ingersoll

MrCramp is online now Registered User

You really just need to walk the coastline (or drive some of it) because you will find what you are looking for in the most unexpected places.

Perhaps if you took a dinghy with you and went up all the smaller rivers you could combine a bit of boating with looking for "wrecks".

Alchemist V274 is offline Registered User
    Location : Home Norfolk, Boats in Brightlingsea and Ipswich, will work anywhere!

'Brightlingsea down by the Colne YC'

and he's having a go at mine too!

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Nope, but my Uncle Bob kept a dog of a Dauntless in Iron Wharf, and so did many others of his stamp.
    Is Alan Staley still there? I...........

[/ QUOTE ]
    Indeed he is, his yard is very busy.
    Still quite a few Dauntlesses (Dauntlessi?) in these parts.

Try the saltings at Tollesbury
    Life is just far far too short.
    http://www.sailblogs.com/member/pipedreamii/

ianc1200 is offline Registered User

Thanks for all the suggestions

regards

IanC