Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default \"Suhaili\", where is she now?

I've just finished reading Robin Knox-Johnston's book "A World of My Own" and enjoyed it very much. You would think a book describing a ten month, non-stop voyage would be stupefyingly boring but I didn't find it so. You have to read the book to appreciate what he achieved.

Having read about "Suhaili", I'd now like to see the real thing. Is she on show to Joe Public somewhere? I know she used to be in the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich but she is no longer there.

Default Re: \"Suhaili\", where is she now?

She was in St Katharine's dock last time I saw her...

about 1994 IIRC! Hope this helps! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Light travels faster than sound this is why some people appear bright until you hear them

I think she's in Falmouth at the Maritime Museum

Last time I saw her was in Dartmouth, S R gave us a wave. Before that I was privileged to be presented with a few cups by him for a race we won with my boat round the Irish Sea (The Five Nations), think it,s defunct now, sad, it was a good event, but maybe to long for most.

Tugboat (of this forum) and I had a look at her about 5 weeks ago - she was laid up ashore in a shed on the River Dart at (I think) Baltic Wharf (?).
    She appeared to be in very fine condition.
    Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://www.doyleguides.com/barbados/

The first and last time I saw her was off the Bishop's Rock lighthouse in April 1969. We were staying on a family holiday in Cornwall and went for a day trip on the Scillonian to the Scilly Isles. My mother was sick all the way from Wolf Rock to the Scillies, and while we were ashore the wind got stronger all day - mother was dreading the return journey.
    As we pulled away from the harbour the captain came over on the tannoy saying he had a big treat for us - he had just heard that Robin Knox-Johnson was on his way back to Falmouth after his non-stop round the world voyage, so he was going to divert the ferry so that we could see him!
    We headed out past Bishop's Rock and the seas became rougher and rougher - people were disappearing below clutching their stomachs, but my father, sister and I seemed to be the only ones left on deck as we finally spotted Suhaili through the spray and wind. I remember at least two other boats were accompanying her - one with the name of a national newspaper on the side, possibly the Daily Mail, and the other was a small grey naval vessel, maybe a minesweeper. They were rolling so much we felt very sorry for those on board. Robin Knox Johnson waved to us and we waved back, then the captain turned round and began the long slog back to Newlyn. We finally got back after 5 hours or so and unloaded the green staggering passengers from down below, including mother who swore she would never go on a boat again.

Suhaili was anchored next to us at the Trafalgar Day Fleet Review celebrations at Portsmouth in 2005.
    "It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

I believe that she is still in the ownership of SRKJ. IIRC that is what the latest Little Ship Club handbook says.

I saw her once in Shamrock Quay. My friends and I met up for the first time to sail the Gibsea 402 belonging to one of our numbers parents. We four rugby players in our early twenties were used to taking the michael about my taste in older women and older boats. I was interested in her straight away, without knowing what she was. For an old wooden vessel she was clearly very well geared up. The micky was duly taken and it was not until sometime later that I discovered that the vessel in question was a vital piece of our maritime herritage. I did mention this to the others but apparently my oggling what they saw as an out of date heavy and probably uncomfortable boat was not sufficiently unusual to stick out in their memories.

If I remember correctly RKJ intended to sell Suhaili and buy something faster for the race.I bet he is glad now that a buyer didnt turn up.

I e-mailed the Maritime Museum and have been told that, far from being a museum exhibit, she is still owned and sailed by SRKJ. I reckon that's good news.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast