Default 4All Marine or Lindon Lewis Marine

Looking for steel work, strip/blast hull and repaint. Would appreciate thoughts of appropriate yard for a caring, quality lasting finish.

Many thanks

Default Re: 4All Marine or Lindon Lewis Marine

Lindon Lewis at Shepperton did my steel boat last year. I won't know how good the job was until the boat comes out again next year, but I was happy with what I saw at the time.

Hello 1Sid. I know Paul and Steve at 4All Marine quite well and I often stop for a chat if I see them in the yard, and can certainly vouch for their characters. I've not looked particularly closely at their work but I can say that Steve's steel boat building skills as far as welding is concerned is very good. They can shot blast but they prefer to do that in the Spring. A good pair of guys.

Steve Handley at Lindon Lewis is also a very regular guy and equally you won't have any complaints if he does the work but its still Lindon Lewis. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Lindon Lewis took in my boat in March 2005 for some simple repairs. They then hung on to it for 5 months but still failed to complete the work. The boat was a lien so I could do nothing but tear my hair out. Every boaters nightmare! Only when they caused damage to the interior (for which I was later awarded £840 in court) could I declare force majeure and retrieve it.

Otherwise, a very nice guy. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

They fitted a sea toilet to my boat. Leaked at joker valve. Had to refit myself. Felt like pulling teeth to get some money back. Still out of pocket feel like I paid hundreds of pounds in a lesson on how not to do the job. Feel very disappointed and wouldn't use again.

I wonder if they are 'related' to the Lewis Marine from East London who always seemed to have the most expensive small boats at the Earls Court Show. One year they had a boat there at £12,000 I recall being absolutely aghast that someone would pay that much for a 25' boat. A Shetland 535 +small Merc + Falcon Trailer was £1,200 inclusive. There was no VAT back then.

Used 4All on my steel boat (Stevens) a couple of years ago and was very satisfied and would definitely use again.

Make sure you get a written quote and not an estimate from L Lewis. You'll be charged for every nut and screw as 'extras'. Invoice was paid without my consent so too late to question the add-ons which added 30% to original 'estimate'. Wouldn't recommend. Job average on fitting tank, loo etc.