Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast

Default Re: Tom Eckhoff - Tome - RIP

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] After 10 years of sailing with Tom as his no 1, I shall miss him terribly, his love of sailing, the humour, and his extraordinary navigational expertise, but more importantly his friendship and the trust we developed over the years.
    I can't imagain the loss Karen must be feeling right now, but our thoughts are with her
    May Tom RIP

what led to the gizmo development was the requirement for accuracy - before the electronic age tom was responsible for the navigation of the ship (by sextant) towing 1/2 mile lines, turning that lot had to be spot second and only with a sextant?

Admiration or what - he was a great sextant teacher
    Sod it, I've forgotten how to ride me bike

Derek. Welcome aboard. Sorry you had to join in such sad circumstances. I know how much Tom meant to you but also how much you meant to him. 
Hope to see you soon. Do join us tomorrow if you can. Bw Richard
    Skype no: cutter1203

Richard
    Met up with Derek this eve and Plans (as much as tom hated them) are coming together for "the arrangements" (ug) final sort tomorow evening
    See you then

Ian
    Sod it, I've forgotten how to ride me bike

I was a work colleague and friend of Tom for many years and also sailed with him a few times. The Tom you knew and has been described in these posts is exactly the same Tom we so much enjoyed working with. His leisure pursuits merged seamlessly with his professional interests and he was an expert on everything from the use of the sextant to the design of integrated navigation systems.

We were absolutely stunned when we heard the news. Sure we will miss his technical expertise, but nothing compared to his humour, generosity and willingness to stick his neck out to get things done.

Our thoughts and sympathies are with Karen.

John

Fair winds and calm seas to him
    And condolances to those left behind.
    Ken

I've jsut read this, having missed it previously. I have not met TOME in person, but read his contributions here with interest. Someone please pass on all of these messages to his family. You are in our thoughts.

Although, as a long time member of his crew I have keenly followed the antics of Tom and his many friends on the scuttlebutt forum, like Derek (Tomís no 1) this is the first time Iíve posted on this site, and is prompted once again by the dreadful circumstances surrounding the death of our friend and colleague.

I have to admit to still being in complete Ďbitsí about Tomís recent demise, having gained false hope when only the other day we met to celebrate the completion of Phase One (the Gamma Knife surgery), and a toast to hopefully now only having to fight on one front. My heart goes out to Karen at what must be the most dreadful time of her life, but those who know her will recognise she is an exceptionally plucky girl, and will no doubt manage to some how weather the storm.

In the same vein, those of you who knew Tom would hopefully agree that what he would now expect from those he has left behind is to celebrate to the full our interaction with his own life. As you know, he always loved to share a good story, and laugh along with a good anecdote, preferably to the chink of a few charged glasses. So now is the time to remember him fondly in your stories for the A1, top ranking geezer he was.

Rest In Peace Skipper. I will always be proud to be able to count you as one of my friends.

very fair enough jez. I will certainly get up and get going BUT I can't help feeling that I am still in the great Pub of Life and Tom has had to leave too early, with me owing him a few pints! I think also jimi owed him a fiver...

I think Tom would want me to have the fiver. He always seemed rather taken with the way I so lavishly sponsor the Fleetwood Lifeboat. Let's face it, any fiver of Jimi's will never see the light of day so I'll take responsibility for the debt.
    Claymore

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast