Thread: Coppercoat

Default Coppercoat

Do the gathered intelligentsia here agree with the review of Coppercoat, as promulgated in the current PBO? Thinking of applying it de novo, to the new bateau, but only if the hype matches up to the reality
    Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill

Default Re: Coppercoat

Reviews I've seen are generally good, most new Oysters have it and as I couldn't face the annual scrape, sand paint ritual I've just had mine done for the first time, launched on Friday, she looks good, so lets see if it lasts. Also it's supposed to be better for the environment than the soft ones....
    C.
    Chris

galadriel is online now Registered User

WE have it on Galadriel. Does it work? Well we do have to give the botty a blast off with a pressure washer twice a season, green stuff and slime. But no barnies!

We keep the boat in a marina with brackish water, I think if the water is more genuine seawater then the results would be better. In July this year, fed up with the growth on the rudder and the area immmediately under the forefoot, I decided to coat these areas with regular antifoul. The result has been no different to the Coppercoat, so its not that which is performing badly.

With Coppercoat, the one job you know you wont have to do is to scrub and scrape the bottom and then spend more money on fresh antifoul every year.
    "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
    Roger Waters 1972

I've been thinking about using it myself and the only negative comments I've found so far are when using it in drying berths and then only on the parts of the hull that sink in the mud.

My only concern at the moment is whether it's OK to use it on a 20 year old gel coat and a slightly soggy hull as I've read that epoxies shouldn't be applied in these circumstances.
    It will not be difficult Mein Fuhrer! Nuclear reactors could.... heh, I'm sorry, Mr. President.

Hi,it dont seem to keep these new freshwater muscles that have apeared in recent years at bay,i had my boat coppercoated this year,she went back in in april,and came out for the winter last saturday,the muscles were all clustered in the chines,on the bilge keels and a big mass on the cuttless bearing housing,the rest of the hull was clear,the boat is in Cardiff Bay which is fresh water.

gianenrico is offline Registered User

Applied june 2006 on new boat kept (too much) static in thyrrenian harbour.
    A little slime but no serious growth, up to now.
    I think in warmer waters it could be less effective than up north.
    Cheers

Blue5 is offline Registered User

I am thinking about using it in the Spring, I hope to lift out and do the job myself, I have read about min temperature and no rain etc but any other application tips/problems that peeps can share.

Flyingscampi's comment on wet fibre is sensible, the yard did a full gel peel and osmosis treatment on mine prior to application as the hull was blistered under the previous epxoy. The yard guys were great and said it was not a good idea to apply to a damp hull & my Sigma is 27yrs old...
    C.
    Chris

Thanks everyone. Will give it some serious thought. Also the coppercoat guys seem on the ball, a reply to my exploratory e mail within 4 hours and on a Sunday!
    Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill

galadriel is online now Registered User

Both my friend and I have coppercoat on our boats that has been applied in various conditions. If you want to discuss our very unscientific findings, then plesae PM me with a tele number and I will be happy to talk, nothing really negative about Coppercoat at all, but if anyone is planning using it I'd be happy to talk to.
    "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
    Roger Waters 1972