Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Flying a Blue Ensign?

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think we should all be allowed to hold our own views on anything. Strikes me odd that many Blue Ensign flyers on this channel like yourself, choose to tell others how to think and feel. An example of the breed in my experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just proved my point pretty well.

All I said was be nice, smile and wave to all regardless, but then if that is so hard for you to do then you are probably beyond redemption. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'am afraid this was not all you said. You also mentioned that others who perhaps do not share your own point of view are guilty of reverse snobbery etc etc....... I would be grateful if you re read your own post.

This is the exact point of my response and my real life experiences. You seem fit to TELL people how they should feel and respond. What exact right do you or I have to do this ?

In other words you are saying this is my view on something so I and everyone else should think and do as I say. How else do you expect me to respond ?

[ QUOTE ]
    I'am afraid this was not all you said. You also mentioned that others who perhaps do not share your own point of view are guilty of reverse snobbery etc etc....... I would be grateful if you re read your own post.

This is the exact point of my response and my real life experiences. You seem fit to TELL people how they should feel and respond. What exact right do you or I have to do this ?

In other words you are saying this is my view on something so I and everyone else should think and do as I say. How else do you expect me to respond ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh OK, forgive me - silly me, I thought I was as entitled to an opinion the same as everyone else.

You apparently think that anyone with a blue ensign is either stupid, arrogant or incompetent. I alternate ensigns from red to blue so I guess that makes me OK on some days and not on others...

Some weekends I forget to wear either ensign, I wonder what that might signify in the land of blind prejudice?
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

I dont mind what people think, as long as I look good doing it.
    I have just come back from the signwriters, he is making me an engraved and gold leaf embossed set of signs.
    No mooring here.
    No rafting.
    We are leaving at first light.

Also, we have come back from the Boat Show with a new FendaBuffa machine and 4 gallons of teak cleaner
    We are really excited about the new season where we dont have to talk to the hoi-polloi anymore, only those that are obviously cut from better cloth.
    'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com 4th Edition now available......

could ave bin worse could have bin s & kin crossbones [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
    I may be wrong this time but not always

[ QUOTE ]
    I have just come back from the signwriters, he is making me an engraved and gold leaf embossed set of signs.
    No mooring here.
    No rafting.

[/ QUOTE ]

So as you will have paid for the artwork, the rest of us could get them as well but a bit cheaper!

This FendaBuffa thingy though isn't at all correct. You should be using gold embroidered (blue) fender covers. Was this not explained properly to you by the Flag Officer who issued your warrant? Tsk Tsk! Also this teak cleaning thing is all a bit 'mobo' isn't it, what kind of club did you join? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

[ QUOTE ]
    could have bin s & kin crossbones

[/ QUOTE ] Or the Gay Ensign . . .

[ QUOTE ]

No mooring here.
    No rafting.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have saved yourself the trouble (and some money) - we've collected a good many of those over the years.

Wot sign? I didn't see no sign! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    www.guapa.pn
    "Mieux vaut flotter sans grâce que couler en beauté…"

[ QUOTE ]
    Or the Gay Ensign . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Full Circle's got a kite like that - all is becoming clear now.

Wonder what he intends to use the FendaBuffa for? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    www.guapa.pn
    "Mieux vaut flotter sans grâce que couler en beauté…"

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh OK, forgive me - silly me, I thought I was as entitled to an opinion the same as everyone else.

You apparently think that anyone with a blue ensign is either stupid, arrogant or incompetent. I alternate ensigns from red to blue so I guess that makes me OK on some days and not on others...

Some weekends I forget to wear either ensign, I wonder what that might signify in the land of blind prejudice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Difficult to see where this is going. As I mentioned, I can only respond by personal experience and the kind of responses that I read on this channel from wearers . Any form of reasoned debate is met with accusations of bigotry, jealousy etc All a bit puzzling.You don't need much money to obtain one and neither do you have to earn one by any deed yet the implication is that you do. This I believe is where the problem lies. This is where the hypocrisy is and why so many people feel the way they do and why this subject will come up again and again like it does.

It does not really matter what you or I think but decisions we make do lead to things happening. As mentioned by Trouville above, people do now seem to be ignored in anchorages etc without ever having met them, what a tragedy ! and for what ?

[ QUOTE ]
    You don't need much money to obtain one and neither do you have to earn one by any deed yet the implication is that you do. This I believe is where the problem lies. This is where the hypocrisy is and why so many people feel the way they do and why this subject will come up again and again like it does.

[/ QUOTE ]

What has money got to do with it, or earning it by deed? This surely is all in your imagination!

In our case we sailed for 25 some years as members of an excellent local sailing club that had no warrant to fly a blue ensign - so what. We then joined another club locally which has more members whose cruising activities are more akin to ours and where many friends were also members, this club has a warrant to use the defaced blue ensign - so what. Are you suggesting that we should ignore the fact that this club has a defaced blue ensign and refuse to use it, even on a club cruise or rally because to use it means that we are 'trying to appear superior'?

BTW we also joined the Cruising Association for a few years, for the same reason we joined our current club, to meet with other like minded cruisers, and they too have a defaced blue ensign - so what.

We sail out of Poole. In Poole we have three YCs (Royal Motor, Parkstone and Poole) that have blue ensigns and three (East Dorset, Lilliput and Wareham) that do not. Our club has some 500 cruiser members, I would guess the other two together also make about 500, so potentially 1,000 blues plus another batch from CA members, so maybe 25% of local boats, how exclusive is that! Now we sail a 41ft boat. East Dorset SC, Lilliput SC limit boat size to 30ft, not sure about Wareham but with 6'10" draught we would never get close to them up the river. Royal Motor is primarily a mobo club so that leaves a choice of either Poole YC or Parkstone YC or no club at all. We are proud members of Parkstone YC along with around 2,500 others with interests ranging from sailboards to dinghies, cats, racing keelboats, inshore and offshore racers, cruisers and motorboats.

[ QUOTE ]
    It does not really matter what you or I think but decisions we make do lead to things happening. As mentioned by Trouville above, people do now seem to be ignored in anchorages etc without ever having met them, what a tragedy ! and for what ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You must sail on a different planet to us! If there have been people who have ignored us because of our ensign colour then that is sad, as indeed are they and for that reason alone I wouldn't think that much of a loss.

There does seem to be an anti YC attitude from some on the forums and a lot of preconceived ideas about them, their members and of course their ensigns if they are not plain red. There are so many with closed minds on lots of subjects be it about AWBs, fin keels, spade rudders, catamarans, let alone mobos. That is the really sad thing. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast