Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Languages

Default Languages

Of course you lot may be language experts, but I am far from it. Currently I'm working hard to get my French up to speed so I have a smattering of a second language, but after that I'm lost, despite an attempt to teach me German, French, Latin and a smattering of Greek whilst at school. Somehow it all went into the ears, churned around the brain and emerged as total rubbish the moment my mouth opened!

Have just discovered the following site:
    http://babel.altavista.com
    which is an excellent translation site. It can cope with web pages as well as translate your own script. Very handy for any necessary documentation. It copes well with straightforward words, but struggles with colloquialisms.

Hope someone finds this useful trivia!

Default On board babel

Wife can babble in 8 languages. Can be useful sometimes, but does anyone know a way of switching it off?

Default Re: On board babel

take her out for a bloody good meal.......

Sorry, I should have added, I come from Scotland. Going out for meals is outside my budget.

You reckon she babbles 'cos she's not fed properly?

mmmmmm I refuse to go any further down this road......

Default Re: Languages

this is a french translation of what you wrote , translated with one of these internet translators like babel :
    Naturellement vous divisez en lots pouvez être des experts en matière de langue, mais je suis loin de lui. Actuellement je travaille dur pour obtenir mon français jusqu'à la vitesse ainsi j'ai smattering d'une deuxième langue, mais ensuite cela je suis perdu, en dépit d'une tentative d'enseigner moi allemand, français, le latin et smattering du Grec tandis qu'à l'école. Elle toute est entrée de façon ou d'autre dans les oreilles, a battu autour du cerveau et a émergé pendant que total des déchets le moment où ma bouche s'est ouvert !

trust me dear , if ever you start talking like that to anyone in france he'll at least have a big smirk on his face....keep practicing , best way is to start practice your French kissing , then apply that and all the rest will follow [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Love this one.....
    I don't think anyone speaking French like this will get away with just getting a big smirk. more likely they put you in an asylum.

Peter o/b SV Heerenleed, Steenbergen, Netherlands
    Peter a/b SV Heerenleed, Steenbergen, Netherlands
    http://www.heerenleed.com
    http://www.nicholsonkring.nl

Ah, but you should see how it turns out without Babel!!!!
    Not too bad on translating web sites tho. At least I can get the general gist.

Trouble is all the French people I know want to practice their English, so the French never gets used.

Giving the kissing serious consideration!

And this is the French tranlated back into English!

Naturally you divide into batches can be experts as regards language, but I am far from him. Currently I work hard to obtain my French until speed thus I have smattering of a second language, but then that I am lost, in spite of an attempt to teach me German, French, Latin and smattering of the Greek while at the school. It all entered in way or of other in the ears, beat around the brain and emerged while total of waste the moment when my mouth opened!

Regards

Joe

Makes total sense to me. Whats wrong with it?

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.