Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H W Tilman

Default Re: H W Tilman

Why thank you very much for that plug for my ancient website - long overdue for an overhaul and some anti fouling.
    A few better copies of the pictures can be found here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bokonon...7594266031127/

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrubb View Post
    To share one of my favourites...I hope I don't spoil it for you...

If the navigator is asked by one of the crew where his ship is, he feels obliged to commit himself or a least hazard a guess. On the other hand, if he is not asked and he thinks he knows where his is, he should not let pride tempt him into announcing to a suitably awe-struck crew what sea-mark or cape they will presently sight and where, or as in this instance, what they will not sight. But every ass loves to hear himself bray. I thought we were too far east to sight Smith’s Knoll light vessel and rashly imparted this unimportant piece of knowledge to the crew. No one unkindly reminded me of this. It was humiliation enough to read later the log-book entry to the effect that we had left that particular light vessel close to port at 4am.

(Trimph and Tribulation, H.W. Tilmam)

I've got quite a few that I copied out and still love re-reading them

'The Eight Sailing / Mountain - Exploration Books' by Tilman. Best money I've spent.
    I was there at the time. Contrary to what a biographer, Dr Madge, who was not there at the time, wrote in his book, in which he wastes half a page on a scene which never happened, we none of us thought twice about it.

Yachting Monthly... only 30p.

I'd give my eye teeth for that mag to have that quality of content now.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I was there at the time. Contrary to what a biographer, Dr Madge, who was not there at the time, wrote in his book, in which he wastes half a page on a scene which never happened, we none of us thought twice about it.
    Do tell!

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Paul and Alan had sailed a Wayfarer to St Kilda, which I reckon is pretty good, espescially in those days - forty miles of North Atlantic to find a speck of an island, in a dinghy, with no GPS and not much by way of weather forecasts. I had been messing about in little boats in the Thames estuary. David was new to sailing and could not have cared less. So 75% of the crew had already made far bigger navigational errors and we thought nothing of it.

I commend Bob Comlay’s website.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrubb View Post
    To share one of my favourites...I hope I don't spoil it for you...

If the navigator is asked by one of the crew where his ship is, he feels obliged to commit himself or a least hazard a guess. On the other hand, if he is not asked and he thinks he knows where his is, he should not let pride tempt him into announcing to a suitably awe-struck crew what sea-mark or cape they will presently sight and where, or as in this instance, what they will not sight. But every ass loves to hear himself bray. I thought we were too far east to sight Smith’s Knoll light vessel and rashly imparted this unimportant piece of knowledge to the crew. No one unkindly reminded me of this. It was humiliation enough to read later the log-book entry to the effect that we had left that particular light vessel close to port at 4am.

(Trimph and Tribulation, H.W. Tilmam)

I've got quite a few that I copied out and still love re-reading them

'The Eight Sailing / Mountain - Exploration Books' by Tilman. Best money I've spent.
    Not many writers have such dry succinctness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12