Default Yanmar 1GM10 Anode

Damned if I can find it and no reference to it in the manual. On my recently acquired boat I was cleaning out the bilge and found tell tale sticker 'ZINC'! Any advice most welcome. It is a raw water cooled engine.

Anthony is offline Registered User

Default Re: Yanmar 1GM10 Anode

on the 3gm they are inside the block held in by hex headed bolts. sorry dont recall exactly where have u tried the yanmar forum

http://www.yanmarhelp.com/

I struggled to get the bolts out of my engione block, however a 12v electric impact wrench (abut 20) did it in seconds after hours or knuckle grazing manual attempts.

Anthony
    'There is nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats'

You should find a big bolt either on the side of back of the block, this will unscrew and attached will (should be ) the remains of your anode.

Very simple. Look just above the starter motor and you will see an oval plate held on to the block with two screws. In the centre is a nut on a stud. Undo the two screws and the plate comes off. Depending on how good access is to the port side of the engine, you may find it easier to take off the alternator first as that gets in the way from above. The stud is part of the anode which is on the other side of the plate inside the water jacket. Replace regularly, at least once a year. Not expensive as Yanmar bits go and readily available from dealers.

KenMcCulloch is offline Registered User

Remember to renew the gasket between the mounting plate and the block, and the rubber seal between the anode and the plate. The anode is on a steel stud that screws into the plate and can require a bit of persuasion to unscrew.
    Ken McCulloch
    Rival 38 'Cherry Ripe'

Many thanks folks for the advice

Default Well there you go ....

Now find it!

More seriously, Does it matter if you have a star cluster from a Yanmar 1GM10 gearbox leading to carbon brushes on the propshaft linked to the bronze stern tube finally connected to the external McDuff zinc anode??????

vyv_cox is offline Registered User

Default Re: Well there you go ....

What is the anode protecting? If you think it is protecting the engine and gearbox, I'm afraid you are mistaken. It will protect the prop and shaft and stern tube if it is in 'line of sight' of them, although a shaft anode would make a better job of it.
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com