Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Med advice please

Do we need mosquito netting for the Med?
    Our aim is to getr to Turkey

thanks Sunbird

Default Re: Med advice please

We have one we hang over our bed occasionally when necessary. Its difficult to sleep if you have one of the little B@£t"&ds buzzing and bitting in the night!

No!

I bought netting in Corfu and it's still rolled up in a locker somewhere......but.......other people seemed to be plagued with the little blighters!

vyv_cox is offline Registered User

As with almost everything, it depends. I am occasionally bitten and put it down as one of those minor irritations that are not too difficult to bear with. My wife is bitten constantly, painfully and over large areas of her body, through clothes and even sometimes in the middle of the day.

In low lying areas of Greece, such as the southern Ionian, mosquitoes in the evening are a considerable problem, even to me and after applying repellent. Boatyard work on a September evening in Preveza is virtually impossible, thanks to the attentions of the little creatures.

We have netting permanently rigged beneath the fore and centre hatches, attached with Velcro. Not only does it keep out the beasties but it also filters an enormous amount of dust and general muck from incoming air. In the evenings we hang a piece of netting over the open companionway, spraying inside the boat if necessary. This mostly ensures a night's sleep without bites.
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com

jamesmar is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    Do we need mosquito netting for the Med?
    Our aim is to getr to Turkey

thanks Sunbird

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!!! definitely ...It will guarantee a good night sleep if nothing else. Better to have it. We use it always and are very glad we do.

Barnac1e is offline Registered User

Absolutely. I have found Italy, Croatia and Greece infested in certain areas, while others are totally free. Mostly they appear at dusk but have been informed that a new variety from Asia, the so-called Tiger Mosquito (so named because of the barred striping on the body) is becoming prevalent having migrated by courtesy of commercial aviation and this is active at any time of the day.

I have constructed a companionway washboard frame with the centre covered with a permanent netting and purchased a wedge-shaped net that fits over the forehatch. It restricts the airflow certainly, making the boat too hot during some summer nights but infinitely better than the itching sores that are the alternative.

haroldsson is offline Registered User

Yes. My wife reacts badly to them and is understandably neurotic about them. I just hate havng them buzz past my ear in the night. We have found the Raid electric devices useful, but, being mains powered, you need mains or an inverter - worth having anyway.

I gave up with the hatch companionway netting as when there are mosquitoes their in before you put the "washboard"frame with netting in place.

If its not to hot then i sometime put covers in,I found netting well hung and tucked in the best way to sleep,stick a coil under the netting then after 10 minuets lift the cover and brush any mosquitoes out remove coil tuck net in.

When your ready to sleep let coil burn out in cabin when its out get under the net as fast as you can.Wait a bit pretend to sleep and listen!

Yes, various places in the Med have mosquitos, some in Turkey are the size of small aeroplanes with a bite to match. We have net covers for every hatch we might leave open and put them on an hour before dusk.

We also have a very good experience with the burning coils, even without any netting. We leave the coils to burn on a tray on the cockpit floor and the smoke slowly penetrates the cabin and keeps it mosq free even after the coils burn out. Works for us, touch wood........