Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Softening nylon rope

Can anyone recommend a way of softening old nylon rope?

I have been having a blitz on unwanted gear and rediscovered some 14mm three stranded nylon rope that I bought four or five years ago to use as mooring lines. Over a couple of seasons they got so stiff that I threw them in a locker and replaced them with polyester.

I have tried putting rope in the washing machine while the management was out but it didnít seem all that successful.

VicS is offline Registered User

Default Re: Softening nylon rope

[ QUOTE ]
    Can anyone recommend a way of softening old nylon rope?

[/ QUOTE ] I dont think you can!
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

I agree with VicS - if they are stiff due to ingrained dirt, then washing can bring back some, but not all, of the life to it. If it is stiff due to age then no chance, in my experience - the stiffness is due to accumulated fibre damage, and is much worse with laid rope than sheathed.
    Never be at a loose end with the http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...el/bowline.jpg [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

<span style="color:red">New!...</span>Warrior/Challenger/Voyager owner's website at http://longkeel35.org.uk

nedmin is offline Registered User

You could try "Comfort" if you dont know what it is ask SWMBO,Put some in a bucket works sometimes but as others say may be too late.

VicS is offline Registered User

Comfort is a fabric softener. I dont think it or any other similar product will help but it may actually weaken ropes
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

A good soak in fabric softener is fine. Just use as directed and soak for a few days, stirring occasionally.

Nylon hardens as that is what nylon does. To minimise it don't expose the rope to heat, wash the salt build up out in fresh COLD water, don't leave it sitting in the carpark on a real sunny day and things like that.

The softener will/can help but there comes a point where you just have to pull the pin and say goodbye to it.

I agree, soaking in fabric softener will often help. I've recovered three strand nylon this way many times.

Thanks for that. I will give Comfort a try and see what happens.

Would you post the result, cos I'd like to know how you get on? Ta [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Never be at a loose end with the http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...el/bowline.jpg [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

<span style="color:red">New!...</span>Warrior/Challenger/Voyager owner's website at http://longkeel35.org.uk

Just to let you know how I got on. I put about 2/3 of a bottle of Comfort in a bucket and topped it up with water. I let the rope soak in the mixture for two days. If anything the rope seems stiffer now than before I started, although that could be my imagination. It is certainly no more pliable than it was. I think the only answer is to buy polyester. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast