Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Where to haul out between Portimao & Morocco?

Hi - We have same problem. We really need a lift because the boat falls backwards onto rudder if lent against a wall. If you come up with an answer could you let us know. Probably see you next week.

Good to hear Bruce is prospering, he deserves it, tell him he is remembered!, he may remember Fernando Vargas from Mertola, the guy I went there with. Bill.

jmac is offline Registered User

Charges for Smir are here: http://www.portmarinasmir.com/descar...es2006_eng.pdf

Looks like about 10 Euro per metre per movement.

I agree that Bruce's yard is great. Also a really nice guy. we easily got there, following Bruce in his launch doing a grandmothers footsteps routine. We draw 2mtrs. Needed ithink 3 days eaither side of springs. He was trying to dredge the entrance channel but came against the national park. Maybe he has it sorted by now.

Another good option is just into Spain at Isla Cristina. They have a travel lift system there and not as expensive as Portimao, and l'm sure they would leave you in the slings for a few hours if that is all you need. One chap in the office speaks very good english but the girls don't so you'll have try a bit of spanish. Very helpful yard.

bazobeleza is offline Registered User
    Location : faro, portugal, & Liverpool for my sins, this year more portugal than l'pooll

Yep hes dredging it this year, he's even built his own dredger to do the job! the mans brilliant.
    happiness is a 10kva genset and cold beer

[ QUOTE ]
    Another good option is just into Spain at Isla Cristina. They have a travel lift system there and not as expensive as Portimao, and l'm sure they would leave you in the slings for a few hours if that is all you need. One chap in the office speaks very good english but the girls don't so you'll have try a bit of spanish. Very helpful yard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope the service at Isla Cristina has improved as you describe, they were terrible in our experience, to the extent we became involved in a dispute, and won! They insisted we enter the travel lift, with a cross tide, resulting in damage to our boat, because they had insufficient manpower to manage the ropes. They then wanted to charge for extra days ashore spent repairing that damage. Isla Cannela had a good reputation, but at the time they could not handle our boat, too big, no problem now I believe.
    N.B. If you do use Isla Cristina, insist you go into the travel lift at slack water, and watch for passing fishing boat creating a troublesome wash! Bill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12