Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denny island

Default Denny island

Anyone know anything about Denny island? In the interest of doing something different I would like to anchor and row ashore on a quiet day. I vaguely remember it may be a bird sanctuary if so best to keep off I guess.

Default Re: Denny island

Wikipaedia:

Denny Island (grid reference ST458810) is a small rocky island of 0.24 hectares (0.6 acres), with scrub vegetation, in the mouth of the River Severn. It is situated approximately three miles north of Portishead. Its rocky southern foreshore marks the boundary between England and Wales, but the island itself is reckoned administratively to Monmouthshire, Wales.

It appears in the record for the first time as Dunye, in the charter recording the creation of the county of Bristol in 1373.[1] This suggests that the name means, in Old English, 'island shaped like a down (i.e. a hill with a rounded profile)'.

It gives its name to the Denny Island Fault Zone, a part of the Avon-Solent Fracture zone.[2] If it is famous for anything, it is as a nesting-place for gulls, cormorants and other seabirds, which are regularly seen and ringed there.

Denny Island was, in 2004, subject to an unsuccessful appeal under Section 6(1) of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 against it appearing on a map of registered common land. [3]

-------------------------------------------

I think there is still some dispute, with some local "lord" claiming title, and putting up Keep Off signs, and others going over and removing them. There was an "official" trip out there last year for some reason associated with a court case.

There is an all-tide (neaps?) pool close by, and the local fishermen regularly anchor close. I have often thought of going over myself, but it's a bit scary due to the lack of time when you don't want to have to take the ground!
    Never be at a loose end with the Yosemite bowline [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

<span style="color:red">New!...</span>Warrior/Challenger/Voyager owner's website at <span style="color:blue">longkeel35.org.uk</span>

I always looked at it when I was going over the SSC, and wondered what it was! I got the charts out and had a good look, and wondered how many boats have hit it over the years, as it isn't that conspicuous on either the Admiralty or Stanfords chart. I too would be interested in knowing more. It isn't lit at all as far as I could see.
    All the best
    Jon

No it's not lit, but then it's an awful long way from any channel.
    Never be at a loose end with the Yosemite bowline [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

<span style="color:red">New!...</span>Warrior/Challenger/Voyager owner's website at <span style="color:blue">longkeel35.org.uk</span>

Portishead Cruising Club races around it at high water several times each year. Even around high water the tide runs quite quickly. The island is used as a roost for many fist eating seabirds, and has its own aroma. I've considered going ashore, and if I did I would get someone to take me over there and anchor the dinghy in the tidal lee of the island and wait until the tide went out. Be wary that the sand becomes 'quick' on the rising tide.
    Panic Slowly

Bristol Channel Yachting Association... go to www.bristolchannel.co.uk

make that 'fish' eating seabirds
    Panic Slowly

Bristol Channel Yachting Association... go to www.bristolchannel.co.uk

Thanks for that John,I was wondering about going up on a very small neap tide and ideally SW wind. Anchoring on the NE side about an hour or two before HW as close in as possible then rowing ashore for a look around.

Quote Originally Posted by graham View Post
    Thanks for that John,I was wondering about going up on a very small neap tide and ideally SW wind. Anchoring on the NE side about an hour or two before HW as close in as possible then rowing ashore for a look around.

Quote Originally Posted by graham View Post
    Re Denny Island:- as a child we would go down to the Channel at Redwick through my grandfathers farm and spend a few hours on the 'beach', this was in the 50's, and on the one end of the Denny Island was the tail of a plane sticking up out of the mud, I was told that it had gone down in the war, it worried me that there could still be someone in the cockpit, does anybody have any information of what actually happened. Cheers Lynda

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_R..._(businessman)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-ransom.html

A nasty man who caused a lot of worry to many home owners!
    Even tried to say he was CDYC `s new Landlord! Just sign here, we wont charge you a lot!
    We used diplomatic language and told him to " P&%s off"
    Last edited by TOKOLOSHI; 25-08-19 at 17:26.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast