Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Carry on Boating - I don\'t think so!

Well now Jez so now I've been described as blind, stupid, arrogant, foolhardy and now close to breaking point! Phew that's quite a list of attributes of one kind or another and we've never even met! I see you are a boat dealer at Sparkes so, as a professional, you probably know what you are talking about when it comes to boats and the people who buy them. You must also be aware of the survey I mentioned in an earlier post that had a very high percentage of boaters in the retired or semi retired bracket who may or probably not have indexlinked incomes that will keep up with this Governments stated objective of changing behaviour amongst all hydrocarbon users. As you know this is independent of how much undiscovered reserves of crude that you seem to have an inside track on. The Government will "Keep on Taxing" and this means that "Carry on Boating" is going to get progressively very expensive indeed!

I think the issue for many boaters will be whether it is just worth the money in the future.
    My boat easily gets through 80 litres an hour and whilst I probably could afford running costs of £120 per hour I don't think this represents a good use of my cash. When a return trip, Dover- Calais, is going to cost well over £300 in fuel alone I won't be doing many of those in the future!

There comes a point with any activity when the costs outweigh the benefits. I think power boats will have reached that stage by 2009 for many people- unless you are one of the super rich who just don't care

OK, look. I have clearly rubbed you up the wrong way for which I appologise. I am not looking for a fight, nor do I wish to argue with you.

From my point of view I will also have to cut back on some of the stuff I do to allow me to pay for the additional fuel. I wont be pleasant but I have to make do if I want to keep enjoying a past time which is dear to me.

I am sorry if the cost of diesel will stop you boating, truely I am - but I really never saw it was going to end any other way. We could never lobby or make a fuss as the 95% of the country who dont have a boat would have cried out that we should have been getting cheap diesel for so long to fund this rich mans sport.

Have to agree with you ...... no-one would ever support our claim to "cheap fuel"
    When I mentioned it in the office peeps were surprised that we paid only 55p per litre, and claimed it was outrageous that they subsidised our hobby.
    This coming from people with kids that command child benefit and company cars that they fuel up for free!
    Do they offer "petrol money" when they come out for a ride? Do they hell!
    Viva la revolution I say!
    We sacrifice quite a few other luxeries to have our boat, but that, I guess, is our choice.

PS a bit pi55ed!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    See the rainbow not the rain

Default Re: Red diesel decision is in: full rate at pump from November

[ QUOTE ]
    I think any concessions for relatively well off boat owners are a thing of the past. What everyone should concentrate on now is the cost of fuel in the UK in comparison with the continent. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I never understand why anyone ever tried to fight this from the point of view of keeping the derogation. It should have been fought from the "why should we pay road duty prices".

I cancelled my RYA membership after they decided most of their members wanted the price rise.

Default Re: Red diesel decision is in: full rate at pump from November

[ QUOTE ]
    I cancelled my RYA membership after they decided most of their members wanted the price rise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they say that?

Rick

Home near Stansted Airport Boat at Burnham yacht harbour

I will carry on boating but I will not be continuing my membership of the RYA. The RYA is supposed to fight for and on behalf of the boating community. In my opinion they have done very little and just caved in. It seems to me that the RYA are just looking after their own interests and not boaters in general.

Here here!
    See the rainbow not the rain

RYA = Racing (sailing) Yacht Association
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

[ QUOTE ]
    I cant say which way that will go, there are masses of untapped reserves that up till now have been uneconomical to extract. With crude over $100 a barrel these become economic prospects, so crude should stabalise or even fall back a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad news Jez!
    We had an oil analyst down here in Cape Town this week who made a public statement at the Oil Africa conference that "the world is within about 1200 days of reaching maximum crude oil production - say mid-2011".

Blimey Jez - less time than we thought!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast