Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Carry on Boating - I don\'t think so!

In 1958 petrol was the equivalent of 5 p /litre.A Police Constables salary was £510/year.

In todays terms that equates to qabout £2.50/ litre .Hard to believe that petrol is only half the cost now as then. Makes it seem a bargain really [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The source of my research was a birthday card in Tescos that gives the cost of things on the date people were born so I cant vouch for its accuracy [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]If I were an MP I could claim thousands in expenses for that bit of research.

I wonder how much petrol was sold in 1958? Probably a lot less than today?
    Have you seem how much a TV cost back then? As much as a policeman..........like your thinking though [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    See the rainbow not the rain

Subject: Re: Carry on Boating - I don't think so!

It would take very little effort on the part of boat owners to block Southampton waters main channel

Will the French help us like the British small ships helped them at Dunkirk ?

Now I would love to see that [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] vive la revolution!
    See the rainbow not the rain

Ok with this new tax on fuel from november does anyone know how it will be enforced /Policed??
    When we fill up will the supplier take our names and address ?

That is one of life's greatest mysteries right now.

The indications are that it will be almost imporssible to enforce, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Current thinking is that the retailer will not take such details, maybe not even the boat name. All he has to do is report how much he has sold and pay over the requisite amount of tax/duty.

It looks like I may be spending a couple of years living on my boat as from this summer, so -
    "An allowance for domestic use will be permitted".
    I would hazard a guess that my heating useage will be about 90% of fuel used. Somehow, I can't see a goverment making allowances of much more than say 10%-20% thus I will be getting taxed unfairly.
    I guess I will just have to go and have seperate tanks fitted !!

[ QUOTE ]
    If I were an MP I could claim thousands in expenses for that bit of research.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your honesty would automatically disqualify you.

Re the price, though, petrol was five shillings (25p) a gallon in 1966, which is the year I started serving petrol in my Dad's garage on Saturdays, so that's right enough, and the polis salary rings true too..

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok with this new tax on fuel from november does anyone know how it will be enforced /Policed??
    When we fill up will the supplier take our names and address ?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Our garage doesn't ask anything. They told me they only need to record details of the purchaser for a sale of over 100 litres. Never even asked me what the fuel was for when we filled our 25 litre cans. Pay by cash and there's no trail at all.

I suspect if they do check, they may expect boat owners to produce receipts.
    Tony S

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast