Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I\'ve been doing a bit of research

[ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't you have to cook the engine hours in your Log, and clock the hours counter on the engine temp gauge(if still wking?) as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

That has already been covered here. Who is to know whether you have been bimbling about or going at full chat. One burns little fuel, the other lots, so engine hours mean nothing.

What log? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    There is no legal requirement to keep a log of engine hours on a private leisure vessel is there? Passage planning notes can be pretty basic. I keep no formal records of distance sailed/ motored. If I say I've only pottered around the Straits it would be hard to prove I've been to Ireland or IoM wouldn't it? Especially if I haven't bothered to radio a report to HMCG.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Tidewaiter2 is offline Registered User
    Location : Now where do we go in 2014- north to the Friesans or South to Brittany?

I've seen some reports(RYA mag, PBO, etc,) that the Dutch & French fiscal police have already pulled yachts over with legal red diesel in the tank and fined them.

The French did it for the red in the reserve jerrycans apparently. The Dutch pull got sorted eventually, the French case may be ongoing.

I can see some jobsworths lurking in Cherbourg or Den Helder, asking for your receipts as per " your RYA'S advice to you" and " may we see your records of fuel consumption for sailing and heating as per your HMRC's requirements, Sir". If that polite! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I suppose it depends where you want to sail to. After all Jersey is going to be selling red to all and sundry, including visiting French, while Guernsey's marine diesel will be white.

I see a right enforcement free for all shambles in the making, so I'm gonna keep me receipts, put entries in the little box in me Log for engine hours, and just tip the deep fryer oil into me tank occasionally on a dark night, just like Sir Richard B.

Will I get a knighthood too, d'ye think? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Got to go, SWMBO reminding me we leave for the boat sparrowf**t tomorrow, to put monkey(son) up the stick in F6+ [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Ah, revenge for all those nappies?
    "Journos Luxury Yacht"=a hole in the water for time, money,affection,blood,sweat n tears

[ QUOTE ]
    If I say I've only pottered around the Straits it would be hard to prove I've been to Ireland or IoM wouldn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong Searush. They've got that one covered as you will have to file an http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...00mbmnews.html if you wish to leave UK shores. IoM and RoI are both outside the UK.

IIRC, from the 'bottom' as it where:

Crud

Bunker Fuel (used by older ships and suchlike)

HFO (Heavy Fuel Oil) Used by some large plant and for space heating in old factories and Large Nurseries.

MFO (medium) Ditto - more widely used.

LFO (light) - Not used much but as above mostly space heating and process.

35 second Oil - Diesel and Red.

28 second oil - Kerosene, Avgas, Avtur etc. - Yes your average airbus runs on super refined heating oil!

Petrol and other top level aromatic hydrocarbons.

Also in the mix there will be things like Napthalene and all the distillates used to make ethylene and so on.
    Too old to rock and roll, too young to.....

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If I say I've only pottered around the Straits it would be hard to prove I've been to Ireland or IoM wouldn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong Searush. They've got that one covered as you will have to file an http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...00mbmnews.html if you wish to leave UK shores. IoM and RoI are both outside the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yeah, right. have you ever tried "reporting in" in RoI? They just didn't want to know last time I tried. when I finally got through via phone I was told, "That's OK sir, have a nice holiday" Paperwork - who cares was the attitude. IoM is part of British Isles any way so I am not leaving my own country am I? Maybe there are "jobsworths" where you sail, Irish Sea tends to be a bit more sensible.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

hlb is offline Registered User

I've never reported going anywhere, or coming back. Even when we were supposed to do. I dont think anyone missed me.