Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Yellow Fishermans/Trawlermans Oilies/Oilskins/Waterproofs

Hi,

I'm completely disheartened with breathable fabrics including gore-tex etc. Thinking about harder wearing alternatives...

Where can you buy the 100% waterproof jackets and salopettes as worn by professional trawler fishermen?

What make are they?

Cheers,

Default Re: Yellow Fishermans/Trawlermans Oilies/Oilskins/Waterproofs

Answered my own question:

http://www.guycotten.co.uk

My dad used to have a set of these when I was a kid, and they're still going. So I assume they're up to the job?

Or does the lack of breathability really cause a major problem?

Google Gael Force they do all the professional fisherman stuff. I bought a sou'wester from them [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] you could also fit your boat out with a full set of nets for pair trawling as well from their web page... Order one of there catalogue it got loads of useful stuff in that's not on the web.

Captain Bob, I went back to the old fashoned oilies some years ago after flirting with expensive 'breathables'. I have not regretted it. No problems with lack of 'breathability'. A Trax style mid-layer bodysuit with and the Guy Cotton ( or Peter Storm ) outer layer is a great combination. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Cheers chaps

I lad I know (ex fisherman) uses these regularly. Lets just say, you don't want to stand downwind of him when he takes them off (and for a good hour more!).

That's not a problem. I stink all the time anyhow.

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi,

I'm completely disheartened with breathable fabrics including gore-tex etc. Thinking about harder wearing alternatives...

Where can you buy the 100% waterproof jackets and salopettes as worn by professional trawler fishermen?

What make are they?

Cheers,

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob, I suffered wearing those things for years (economy), I wouldn,t dream of going back to the sweaty, cold, stiff, generally horrible bl##dy things again, My HENRY LLOYD OCEAN gear 18yrs, a great many k miles and going well.
    The other are ok for fishermen they can get out of them between hauls, and in fairness, I wouldn,t want my 200 (20yrs ago) jacket on working on an MFV. Bill.

Why do you feel that way?Not being confrontational,but I don't understand.I never had a problem with mi Gill breathables and the comfort levels that I get ,together with my Dubarry boots are beyhond anything I had experienced before.I was wearing a nonbreathable jacket ashore the other day and after a while,when I took it off,it was all wet inside from perspiration.Why would one want to live with that?

Try http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk. They're Lowestoft based and have all the trad kit.