Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stern Gland - oil instead of grease?

Hi,
    On my Colvic Watson the stern gland seems to have an unusual lubricating arrangement. Rather than the traditional bottle with screw to force the grease in, there is a unit on the deck filled with what looks like oil and a lever which pumps the oil into the gland.

The gland isn't particularly watertight (drips a couple of times a second after being left for a while) and the oil resevoir is nearly empty and I'm not sure what to fill it with...

Is anybody familiar with this type of stern gland lubricating arrangement and can give me some advice?

Thanks,
    fjarvis

Default Re: Stern Gland - oil instead of grease?

I come across this type last year,never seen it before but it is common on big ships apparently,the oil keeps things cool and seawater out,The oil tank is remote from the engine room and the flow can be controlled,i think it is supposed to drip every now and then,and it uses thick oil,you can get it from oil distributors in 25 ltr cans,the ship i was working on was leaking oil quite badly into the sea from the outboard end of the propshaft so she needed drydocking to repair.

PCUK is offline Registered User

As above this sounds like an oil filled shaft tube. Different from the normal stern gland!
    UKIP - For derogated red diesel!

It's certainly not a big ship, just a 20' yacht [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])

It still has the usual tightening facility which when tightened reduces the drips and a locking ring which was what made me think that it was just a normal stern gland with packing in it. Did the oil filled shaft types also have packing?

Thanks,
    fjarvis

I might be wrong but if my memory serves me correctly some of the Colvics are fitted with a duel system. In other words there is a traditional gland packing seal, but behind that the shaft is lubricated by an oil system, rather than sea water as you normally find. If I remember correctly they used this system as the enclosed part of the propellor shaft is quite long and so it might not get sufficent flow of sea water to lubricate it.
    If if I am right about this then there are two systems to deal with, ie keep the oil topped up and maintain the gland packing. To avoid polution issues you should use a vegetable oil not a mineral oil to top up the resevoir.

davidjackson is offline Registered User

I had a 29 ft Swedish built vessel with Sleipner 25mm stern gland. This had a remote oil reservoir. I used to keep it topped up with engine oil. It never gave a moments trouble.

I had an oil-filled gland on a Sadler 29. After about 5 yrs it sort of exploded and covered the compartment with oil.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Yes if you dismantle it you will find the usual rope packing(hopefully) try this website,i dont know how to do that clever HERE thing,Google tbtraining,great site,good luck.sorry that is tb-training.

Oil allows a bearing to be accomodated in the stern post but then obviously needs a form of sealing at both ends. It is really 70s onwards big ship practice which IMHO does not readily transfer to small craft. As others have said use veg oil to top up as it will leak slowly either inboard or outboard like as not.

Keep it simple is always the best design, you cannot beat external cutlas bearing with simple grease sealed packing glands in the shaft seal. ( Modern lip seals can also be good and need less maintenace - my Volvo seal is now 20 years old and still good)

Brian

VicS is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont know how to do that clever HERE thing

[/ QUOTE ] If you just type, or copy and paste the URL in it will automatically appear as a clickable link thus:
    <span style="color:white"> ................................. </span> http://www.tb-training.co.uk

however this is the link to the section on sterngear
    <span style="color:white"> .................................. </span> http://www.tb-training.co.uk/10sgear.htm#bmn26

The "clever thing" you do by clicking on URL in the instant mark-up box pasting or typing in the url in the little window that appears, click OK, type in the word HERE and OK again. (You can't do it from quick reply IIRC)

<span style="color:white"> .................................................. .......... </span> so it's http://www.tb-training.co.uk/10sgear.htm#bmn30 for the bit on stern glands
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org