Default zumaia marina - experiences? comments

Does anyone have any info about the marina at Zamaia in the Basque country as a season's base for the boat? Shelter, facilities, the area generally? Any comments much appreciated.

Default Re: zumaia marina - experiences? comments

The shelter is excellent as you enter through a longish canal. Entry to the canal can be tricky in breaking waves/strong swell. Pleasant marina with reasonable facilities - short walk into good-sized town. Good cruising area (although we only stopped en route to Med). Only downside is shipbuilding yard which led to rust flecking on the GRP, but that not really serious. Think about Cap Breton as an alternative - delightful place (marina and town) although the entry to that is impossible in the wrong conditions - good entertainment though!

jimbaerselman is offline Registered User

I agree PlanB's picture.

For the local cruising area, see my website, N Spain area. Access to many ports in the area can be limited by swell, but the area is otherwise delightfully un-crowded.
    JimB
    http://jimbsail.info helps Skippers plan Europe Cruises

Many thanks for the speedy feedback PlanB and JimB. From the photos I've seen, it looks pretty sheltered.They've recently extended the pontoons and those for 12+metres are the outermost, so I was a bit concerned about swell/wash. The town looks interesting too. After being told that Hendaye has an 8 year waiting list, I was beginning to get disheartened! The sand bar might be uncomfortable in big swell/rough weather but seems doable? Thanks again