Thread: panama canal

graham42 is offline Registered User

Default panama canal

http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/dashew/dashew445.html

for latest news (march 2008) and transit fees of canal.

Default Re: panama canal

Whoa. So, who was laughing again at the idea of trailering my boat across... ?

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

nick.
    Another blog about sailing. www.bigoceans.com

I am amazed that there does not appear to be a commercial service in place for trucking yachts (especially the smaller ones) across between the oceans.
    I think that the minimum toll fee (and a Contessa 26 would be about minimum) is about US$500, probably more - for the Dashew's 83' Wind Horse it is US$ 1,950.
    Most of the other fees mentioned would probably also apply to Nick, with very little reduction, hence it would appear that it could easily cost US$ 1,000+ for Nick, and that is with him doing his own paperwork (the Agent would charge Wind Horse $ 600 for this).
    Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://doyleguides.com/barbados.html

Exactly Bajan... Where are the industrious truckers with cranes? It's not mentioned on the above site, but I know for a fact that someone last year went through and had to leave a deposit equal to the cost of the transit.

I don't know how complicated the paperwork is exactly, but lets consider one can't do it - We're talking $1000+ for the transit, plus $500 deposit, plus a potential $600 for an agent. Not to mention the enormous waiting period, which will be costly in just general living (even at anchor life costs money).

I still think the Northwest passage is the way to go here [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

nick
    Another blog about sailing. www.bigoceans.com

Yeah well their boat is 83' which is a little bigger than most of the cruisers that transit.
    Most pay around $600, provide their own line handlers, don't use an expensive agent(The taxi drivers at PCYC do the whole thing for around $100.
    Never heard of a boat paying for an AIS transponder, must be to do with their length.
    Cruising permit covers you for 30 days in Panamanian waters and you need it even if not going through the canal.
    There is a refundable deposit of $850, and there should be no reason to pay overtime charges, or visas for Brits.
    So $750 is a much more realistic price for your average yachtie!

Oh and if you could see the state of the Panamanian roads I don't think you'd be too keen on trucking..

http://www.gerryantics.blogspot.com

Any organised and effecient trucking operation would be quickly and effectively stamped out by the canal authority and government by either taxing them to extreme levels or more underhand means. Everything in Central America works on protecting cartels.

I will not provide the names of two friends who recently (within the last month) transited the canal but, briefly, this is their story.

Waiting for their transit at anchor and whilst ashore a canal tug boat pulled up their anchor bouy and their anchor with it. When the crew member realised what he had done he threw the whole lot back in the water and the tug made off. The yacht drifted onto another boat causing quite extensive damage that required a haul out.

The canal authorities deny any responsibility, despite photographs of their staff pulling the anchor bouy up and sworn statements.

Our friends are still trying to resolve this matter but the canal authoriites no longer respond to them.

During the transit the advisor (pilot) misread his instructions and arrived at the 2nd lock at the scheduled lock out time. As a result my friends were fined by the authorities and their deposit, plus a bit extra, was taken from their visa card without their knowledge or permission. Again the authorities deny responsibility and will not refund the fine.

I'm heading down that way at the end of this year and am not looking forward to the transit one bit.

Paul
    Island packet 485 presently in Costa Rica (Pacific Coast).

Well I always fancied seeing patagonia, storms I can do solid ice is a bit iffi for a wooden boat. If you fancy trucking did here some time ago of a boat that sailed through the great lakes and then got trucked over the rockies but I think it probably cost more than a canal tranisit