Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: I\'m sure

I'll have whatever you're smoking 'cos I'm not sure that I understand a word that you're saying...

Default Re: I\'m sure

Hi Chris.. read it in the morning.. your smoke sounds better than mine [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

charles_reed is offline Registered User

Default Hans

is very proud of the fact that the Monitor has been round the Horn more frequently than any other wind-vane.

As my original point was about the suitability of windvanes for surfing boats - I do perceive a degree of drift.

I will reiterate my point, even the makers will not recommend their windvanes for surfing conditions.

That some have successfully surfed their boats, with the wind about 15 degrees either side of the aft centreline is totally feasible.

For those who value their insurers covering them, it is indeed inadvisable to try and claim any gear carried away whilst using a windvane for a displacement boat at greater than displacement speeds.

It is a matter of public record that one manufacturer has specifically stated that windvanes are unsuitable for surfing conditions and I doubt that anyone can provide authoritative evidence, in print, to the contrary.

If an individual skipper decides to use his windvane at high speeds, that is his prerogative - just as not bothering with a deck watch or going the wrong way down a TSS.

Default Re: Hans

Both!

I have an original Aries, which although now is a little high maintenance I wouldn't be without. Have used it for coastal sailing as I don't like the noise of the Robertson Autohelm and its associated 1.5Hp motor! But saying that its horses for courses as they say. Used the Autohelm on many coastal sails as well, and always use it under power. It also links into the GPS set and steers to waypoints if I'm feeling lucky!

Like the idea of the Tiller pilot attached to the wind vane though. Anybody posted the set up yet?
    Drinking rum and playing music with my friends.

Default Re: Autopilot or windvane?

I have to agree with Slartycaptain on the La Coruna, spent many weeks there, great place not just a quick stop.

On autopilot/helms it's often down to how you set your boat up that effects them. My last boat would steer herself happily upwind for hours with neither or a bungee cord on the steering. Balance the boat and sails first helps.

I have been amazed at how good ST6000 systems are as they learn the reaction time in waves and get better, but you do need spares or at least strip them down and check everything before a passage, they do fail but in my experience not often.

On the issue of power, a towed generator is a must for me now. Excess power running the fridge all the time (cold) never having to use the engine to charge batteries at the same time running the autohelm, lights, laptop etc. I don't think we ever had to use the engine to charge batteries in over a year of cruising.

Have a good trip, I'm sure you will whatever kit or boat you end up with.

On a slight side issue, towed generators. We've found that as well as providing power they also steady the stern in a big following sea. This helps reduce severe yawing with both the windvane or autopilot

That's very interesting, nobody (to my knowledge) has ever mentioned that before. Thank you.

I'd agree with this Chris, there is quite a load and it does seem to reduce the stern yawing.