Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hurley is offline Registered User

Default Best Knot to attach a halyard

Hi What is the best knot for securing a halyard, for those of us that are unable to splice ?

And... how to tie it ?

Thanks Nick

Default Re: Best Knot to attach a halyard

sew and whip around a thimble

Or for temp fixing a round turn and 1/2 fishermans then tape the ends together

Agreed, but he sort of insinuated in place of a splice.

I have still not managed a successful splice in braid and so sew the loop and put a whipping over the top. I am quite comfortable with the strength and will only stop doing that when I am happy that my attempts at splicing has not destroyed the rope.

Put a figure of 8 knot in the Halyard . Then make a loop in Halyard pass through cringe in sail bring figure of 8 knot over top and through loop you have just created pull Halyard .. Also easy to get undone .. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

We use a buntline hitch with the ends whipped together. This is the knot used on the old square riggers and will stand a lot of movement as well as being strong under load and when going from under load to relaxed (when a bowline is very unreliable).
    Sarah & Pip
    s/v Roaring Girl
    http://www.sailblogs.com/member/roaringgirl

Thistle is offline Registered User

VicS is offline Registered User

For a small boat:

Tie a stopper knot (despite what others may say that's a simple figure of eight to me) in the end of the halyard. Stitch and whip a loop of something a bit lighter to the halyard so that the tip of the loop is just a tiny bit short of the knot.

Push the loop through the cringle in the sail and the knotted end of the halyard through the loop.

If the sail cringle is large enough to take it double then use the same stuff for the loop as for the halyard.

No shackles to lose and no hard eye either.

Superb for a sheet onto a head sail as well. But here you make a loop in the centre of the sheet and stitch and whip on a sort piece with a knot in it. To use again its the loop of sheet through the cringle and the knotted tail through the eye. No shackle or hard eye to whack you in the face.

Strongly recommend both for a small boat.
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

William_H is offline Registered User

I use a simple bowline for jib and spin halyard. No it has never come undone if given a decent tail length. I use individual jibs (none of this roll em up jib stuff)
    The advantage of the bowline is that each time you fit a jib you put the knot in a different place so the wear points at the sail eyelet and the various pulleys is shifted so extending the life of the halyard.
    I still have a wire with rope tail for the main which remains shackled so it only concerns the jib. olewill

john_morris_uk is online now Registered User
    Location : Home near Exeter, work in Hampshire, boat in Plymouth

[ QUOTE ]
    A http://pdf.nauticexpo.com/pdf/selden...-6227-_16.html perhaps?

[/ QUOTE ]Halyard Knots are good for tying on shackles (as per the Selden illustration) but you can't undo them when they have been put under load, so they are not so good for tying a halyard to the head of a sail directly.

Buntline hitch - OK

Shackle and Halyard knot - OK

Shackle and learn to splice might be another answer. ...or pay the rigger to splice the shackle on. Or find a friend to splice the shackles on for the cost of a beer.

I have just realised that I could keep myself in beer at this rate.
    [B][I]Wishing things away is not effective.[/I][/B]