Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Madeira or Canaries?

I collect my new boat from Cape Town in September and will be heading back to either Madeira or the Canaries via St Helena, Cape Verde.
    After this sort of trip (the Admiral has decided not to come) I want to find a decent Marina to leave the boat for a month and return to the UK. We will go back in Early Jan and spend a couple of months cruising the area before venturing in to the Med around March time. My concerns with the Canaries is that we will be arriving shortly before the ARC and I have heard that all of the islands get very busy around this time hence the possibility of Madeira?
    I have had a few quotes from Canaries marinas but they seem very expensive even if I commit for 3 months. I realise being a Cat we are paying normally 1.5x but 44 Euro per night plus 5% tax does seem a tad pricey even after the discounts of -12% for 30 days or -20% for 90 days.
    Any advice from your experiences would be appreciated.
    Adaero

Default Re: Madeira or Canaries?

I think they charge based on a formula of length X beam. Apparently some marinas charge tax and some don't. I haven't had a reply from the marina in Madeira I emailed (about 3 weeks ago), but you don't want to go to Funchal, maybe look at Porto Santo. There are more cruising opportunities in the Canaries than Madeira. Worth giving some thought to the over-all 'shape' of the trip. Madeira is about 3 days to windward of the Canaries, but you might find it easier to get to the med from Madeira. Why not stop in the Canaries for a couple of months, then a 3 day 'bash' to Madeira which might give you a better slant on the wind to the Med.
    http:/blog.mailasail.com/troutbridge
    http://Peterbernfeld.com/

I wouldn't assume that there will be more space in Madeira. Madeira has Funchal which gets really full to bursting and there is another marina on the adjacent island (senior moment here) but that's it.

The Canaries have a bevvy of marinas and good transport links back to most places. It is true that Gran Canaria gets a bit full but the other islands aren't so bad. You can also book ahead, we were in Puerto Mogan in GC for September havnig booked ahead.

My other concern is also flights. The cheap flights to Madeira (i.e. EasyJet etc) stop at the end of October until April/May time where as you seem to be able to pick up Canaries flights all year round.

npf1 is offline Registered User

Have you considered Azores? In 2005 Horta marina was a fairly inexpensive place to leave a boat. Flights would be a more but might still work out cheaper. Plus wonderful cruising area to go back and explore later.

Another one to consider could be Lagos in Portugal. Not bad prices plus easy access to airport with cheap flights from UK. Plenty of people on here should be able to provide info if you want.

The other slight problem I have is the dreaded VAT. Lagos sounds ideal but I don't fancy the 19% VAT thats why I prefer the 15% in Madeira. I think I'm right in saying that the Canaries although part of Spain are not included in the EU VAT scheme?
    I have looked at all of the VAT avoidance scheme's available, IOM, Malta leasing etc but by the time you pay all the set up charges and then annual fee's for running the leasing scheme's there isn't a massive saving for what seems a lot of hassle.

I didn't want to turn this in to another VAT thread so I didn't mention it earlier.

That puts a different complexion on it, you need expert advice. Incidentally, there are three marinas on Madeira now + one in Porto Santo (that's the adjacent Island). You may well be correct about the VAT status of the Canaries, but I repeat you need expert advice to avoid what could be a very expensive mistake. Personally, I would forget the Azores, lovely though they are. Apart from an even longer uphill trip from SA the weather is not great there in the winter months.
    http:/blog.mailasail.com/troutbridge
    http://Peterbernfeld.com/

I concur with others that Porto Santo is perhaps your best bet. Its remote, but the only marina in the area that I've visited that is both reasonably well protected and has (had!) some space at that time of year. Plus its not so expensive as others. There are plenty of better and more accessible marinas in the Canaries, but you'd need to book a long way in advance at that time of year. Check other threads here, as some of the marinas in the Canaries are unsuitable for leaving a yacht. I think I'd try Gomera, which again may be a little easier to find a place than those on the main islands.

You'll be against wind and current as soon as you pass the ITCZ coming north, and the direct route to Europe is tough during the NE trades. Cornell 'World Cruising Routes' recommends the direct Canaries-Med passage is best tackled between April and June. Leave from the eastern Canary islands, not Porto Santo.

The 'easy' cruising route to Europe from SA, whether NW Europe or Med, is via Brazil and the Azores, travelling north not further east of about 28degW. Has to be worked with the hurricane season and north Atlantic winter storm season of course.

[ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't assume that there will be more space in Madeira. Madeira has Funchal which gets really full to bursting and there is another marina on the adjacent island (senior moment here) but that's it.

[/ QUOTE ] Sorry but that's rubbish. Why do people post on here assuming that nothing has changed since they visited several years or a decade ago?

We stayed in Quinta do Lorde marina in October 2006 and then again in Calheta marina in May 2007. Both marinas have plenty of space for visitors. They are not as cheap as the Canaries, but have excellent facilities and Madeira is a wonderful island.

See our guide to Madeiran marinas http://www.bluemoment.com/portguide-madeira.html for more details.

- W

mithril is offline Registered User

Spot on Nick

Quinta do Lorde was our home last summer for 2 months. Its quite a new marina and was never more than 50% full. Porto Santo marina is part of the same company but the 2 could not be more diferent. But the main difference is that QdL is trying to attract visitors and offers very good discounts. Also the marinero's are really dilligent and enthusiastic. I'd trust them with our boat. We have a few pages on our web site relating to Maderia. Check them out.
    Barry & Janet (SY Ruby Tuesday)
    Check out our liveaboard travels on http://www.barryandjanet.co.uk