Default Eye/Thimble in middle of length of line. How do I do it?

I would like to place an eye, possible with a thimble. in the middle of some three strand line. Can anyone point me to a technique please?
    We wunt be druv!

Default Re: Eye/Thimble in middle of length of line. How do I do it?

Depends what its for but the only 2 options I know of are:

- unravell the strands to the point you want the and make an eye splice in the normal way, then re-twist the strands to make the rope again. Be aware of the loads pulling the eye apart.

- splice in a piece of additional rope to make a loop or splice in an a piece with an eye already in it.

W.

What's it for?
    How will it be loaded?
    Will it be used with the whole lot in a straight line, or a big angle at the eye?
    I guess you can either splice a loop alongside the main line, or cut the main line and splice the two ends into each other around the thimble.

Depends on the direction of the load. What is the rope to be used for?

The idea follows from a suggestion about single handed release of a mooring line. I thought if I could make up a line with a central eye, secured by a thimble, this would be used from a midships cleat to a cleat on the jetty close to the stern and then back to the stern. The suggestion was that with this arrangement I could motor gently ahead, release all other lines, and then motor astern to free the eye from the aft horn of the cleat. Less chance of the line 'sticking' anywhere?
    We wunt be druv!

Splice in another pice of three stand over about three inches and attach what you need to the loose end.Probably wise to cross-whip the point where the two lines divide.

Tie a mountainers Butterfly knot insert eye and shorten (equally )knot to a tight fit then whip both sides of eye. Have lost link to site do a Google for the knot by name or animated knots. I use this method for the sheets and find it ok for me, got fed up with other knots.

VicS is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    animated knots

[/ QUOTE ] <span style="color:white"> .................................... </span> http://www.animatedknots.com/

peterb is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    I would like to place an eye, possible with a thimble. in the middle of some three strand line. Can anyone point me to a technique please?

[/ QUOTE ]

The splice you need is nowadays politely called a cut splice; in older, less pc, days it was called a **** splice (see the Jack Aubrey books). Cut the line, lay the cut ends together with an overlap. Each end is then spliced into the rope alongside it as if making an eye splice. The result is a short section of doubled rope forming an eye in the middle of a longer single rope. An ordinary thimble doesn't work very well though, unless the pull is always from the same direction.