Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Possible to fiberglass over teak decks?

Would it be possible to fiberglass over the leaky teak decks on my boat?
    Or would you have to rip them all off?

Rob
    I'm so busy thinking "Can I" that i never stop to think "Should I"

oldsaltoz is offline Registered User

Default Re: Possible to fiberglass over teak decks?

G'day Robert,

Yes you can glass teak, however it must be dry and oil free, then there is the risk of water ingress later.

Removing it should not be too big a job with the right equipment though.

Let us know what you decide to do and we have some more advice.

Avagoodweekend......
    Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

I know the ply under the teak is going to be rotten thats why i thought it might be easier to just glass over the lot?

If i was to take the teak off which dosent look to bad i'm sure i would have to take the ply off then i would probably end mauling with the the beams and beam shelf.

This picture was taken when i was refitting the screw plugs

If i take all the teak off i would then have to refit all the hatches and the wood work around them inside. It would be far eaiser to glass over the whole lot.

Rob

BAtoo is offline Registered User

Its possible but difficult to achieve good seal; wont cure the rot, cost and weight alot & I suspect will look pretty awful.. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Dont do it, the teak will move, crack the fibreglass and ypou will still have the lkeaks, if theres rot there, all you will achieve is encapsulating the rot and it will still continue underneath, it all needs to come off if you want ply and glassed decks.
    If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

How leaky? Your picture seems to show a deck which is more than serviceable. How thick is the teak? Strikes me that locating the leaks and dealing with them would be far less work than your plan to lay fibreglass. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Or overlay with Tekdeck or whatever its called?

[ QUOTE ]
    How leaky? Your picture seems to show a deck which is more than serviceable. How thick is the teak? Strikes me that locating the leaks and dealing with them would be far less work than your plan to lay fibreglass. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Quite leaky. i think most of the problems are under the teak and i have been told it is more or less impossible to lift it repair whats under it then put it back down.

If i was to rip it all off and start again instead of using ply could you use that nylon stuff they make chopping boards out of?
    Could you get that in big enough sheets? It would have to last better than ply?

Rob

I have been in exactly your situation. 1" teak over 1/4" ply. Recaulking the seams lasted no time at all. In the end I bit the bullet and lifted the deck. I was very glad I did as there was substantial unseen damage to beams and gunn'le. If I had left it, TG would eventually have died. As it is a new deck - high quality sapele marine ply glassed over has both stiffened her up and made her dry.

Whilst I respect the advice of oldsaltoz who is immensly knowledgeable and I would say he is right, you can do it, I would be advising caution saying you can do it if you get all exactly right. However, having experienced TG with her new deck, I am certain that it has stiffened her up considerably (and that hasn't been a problem) which suggests to me that with the old teak deck she was very flexible. And that flexibility will not help what is always going to be a difficult adherence twix glass and teak - simply because of the qualities of the teak. My teak - some of it still in the shed is still oily after 44 years. Why was she flexible and why did repeated re-caulking of the old deck fail? Because the deck was fastener back in the 60's with steel screws. Over the years with water ingress some had failed providing further access for water and increased opportunity for the seams to work.

So off came the deck. I intended to remove the teak for refixing but discovering that a single screw removal without damaging the teak took nearly two hours a screw, I realised that I could not continue that way and had to remove the teak by using a hole saw to drill out each screw. Once I had done that the damage to ply substrate beam shelf and half beams was apparent. I have the awful pictures to show.

It was immensely depressing to replace the deck and I miss the quality of a real one but I am sure that the high quality ply deck is a much better proposition for me. I could go on but I think you are beginging to come to the same conclusion. The deck has to be lifted! Took me a year but it was well worth doing it.

pcatterall is offline Registered User

I think you have to bite the bullet!! If the subdeck is gone and there is rot starting in any beams you will just be covering it up. Any flexing under the teak may weaken the adhesion of the grp skin.
    I was able to lift my teak, fit a new epoxied ply subdeck repair the small structural problems ( glad I did it then!!) and relay the teak. One mistake was too rescrew the teak, I should have epoxied it down.
    Like me you may be able to do the job in bits, I did the foredeck first so that the only overlap was at the sides of the coach house. Then I did the afterdeck.
    My forededeck took 8 days of solid work spread over a couple of winter months.
    Good luck!! but wouldnt that teak look good especially in the knowledge that it was stuck down over a completly waterproof sub deck and on good solid beams??