View Poll Results: Should GB Resign?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 94.55%
  • No

3 5.45%
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Default The Future of UK MoBos - Is there one?

Last September on this forum I predicted that marine fuel would be at least 5 per gallon this coming November. Many considered that forecast stupid.
    Today unleaded petrol at the pump broke the 5 per gallon.

Oil industry experts are not rejecting a further 40% hike in fuel costs.

So frankly I was wrong with my forecast - I now see the 7 per gallon fuel price not far off - maybe two years at the most.

If that is right and fuel in the UK hits these prices what future do MoBo's have in the UK?

How would 7 per gallon change your boating?

I now think that the future of MoBo;s in the UK is very limited indeed.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

Default Re: The Future of UK MoBos - Is there one?

well, I dont recall your forseeing the reasons behind why fuel is costing what it does now.
    But you always seem to relish these doomsayer posts. I m not sure why you make them on a forum full of enthusiastic mobo'ers.
    Anything cheerful to post?

[ QUOTE ]
    How would 7 per gallon change your boating?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think you're right about the 7 gallon - but the biggest affect will be on our car useage. It already costs 20 of fuel to get to the boat and back (not that far away), at nearly 30 I wonder how often we'll bother?
    Colvic Watson slideshow video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RayUzX7LZQ

Wiggo is offline Registered User

Yes, you do start to wonder when a trip to Cowes for lunch costs 140.
    The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, and is not preceded by a period of worry and doubt.
    <span style="color:blue">
    http://www.nereid-charter.com
    </span>

I predict Gludy will still be boating whatever the price of fuel in at least two years time &amp; although it pains me to think of the cost, so will I.

Sacrifice will be made along the way to keep going but no way will it involve throwing in the towel &amp; buying a boat with a stick &amp; some rag. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] &amp; for that mater moving abroad.

Using fuel is only half the fun, the social side &amp; home from home comforts will still be very much used, the term "floating caravan" is often used but there are quite a few people with statics that would give hundreds for the view &amp; peacefull atmosphere of a marina location.

Cruising far &amp; wide will be painfull on the pocket but if you have plenty to see &amp; do on your doorstep (bathing platform!) then the occasional trip will still be pleasurable, just look at the twin petrol owners out there, it hasn't stoped them so why should it stop us?
    Living the Champagne lifestyle on Beer Money

Oh no, not again.

This must be <span style="color:red">GROUNDHOG DAY</span>

Is there an icon of a little yellow thing that has topped itself?

dv.

Medskipper is offline Registered User

Yes, quite agree, don't wish to be negative but I have been messing around with boats about 25 years now. I have met many boats owners over those years and although there are plenty of very wealthy people that perhaps will not be bothered by the huge hike in fuel prices, by far and away I believe that the majority of boat owners are like myself, ordinary working folk who like me just will not be able to afford to go far by boat anymore so I my as well get rid of it! Problem is it looks to me like not many people are buying! and that could be the case for a good few years yet, so what to do? take a big loss on your vessel and get out or just keep it and don't go anywhere?

Barry

[ QUOTE ]
    m not sure why you make them on a forum full of enthusiastic mobo'ers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I frankly find that statement amazing!

The answer is because the way fuel costs are increasing it is becoming a major subject of concern to all MoBo'ers - so why can I not raise a subject of concern?

Why should the head in the sand - lets ignore the problems be the only acceptable form of forum post?

Please answer because I cannot for the life of me understand your logic
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

epervier is offline Registered User

Paul, I'm convinced there is, and will be a future in UK motorboats, but perhaps different to now, maybe as discussed many times before, in smaller boats or displacement cruisers or in some other combination.for me I'm staying exactly where I am keeping the same boat and bite the bullet and just enjoy what I have before they tax it out of reach. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    "It's Better to Have Memories Than Dreams"
    "blow Q, cycle main vents"

pissativlypossed is offline Registered User

It won't stop me either, fuel is only a relatively small percentage cost of owning a boat, when you consider mooring, maintenance, insurance and (the biggest cost) depreciation. When it doubles, and more, i will still be there.
    What you are not taking into account is that all other forms of travel and entertainment will also rise on the back of increased fuel and energy costs.
    "Open Another Bottle"