Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 94.55%
  • No

3 5.45%
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    ari is offline Registered User

Default Re: The Future of UK MoBos - Is there one?

[ QUOTE ]

To the member who asked which French ports - I was referring to the west and North coast of France - not the South of France. These waters are a better comparison for comparing ratios of MoBos to UK waters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought so. Have a look around Cannes, Nice, Antibes, St Tropez, La Napoule, etc etc etc, and then tell us what you see there. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

ari is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    LONDON (Dow Jones)--U.K. house prices could drop by around 30% over
    the next
    couple of years if further immediate rate cuts aren't taken, a member of
    the
    Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee said Tuesday.
    David Blanchflower, a well-known policy dove, said he believed that
    the Bank
    rate - currently at 5.0% - is still restrictive, and that "aggressive
    action"
    is needed to prevent the U.K. economy from falling into recession.

Im itching to buy another boat but wouldnt even think about it at mo. Bottom line is boat prices are going to get hammered. similar to property i think boats around 200/300k area will get hit hardest. Im looking forward to picking up something cheap in 09 once penny has dropped. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree that the current financial climate is the thing most likely to hit the boat market. Fuel costs won't, it's too small a proportion of total running costs and it's the easiest one to mitigate against by going less far/less often/less fast.

But we've had these conversations before with Gludy, over and over. He just crops up again two months later saying the same old stuff.
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Whitelighter is offline Registered User

Then please build some that look like boats rather than floating work platforms.

Take a look a Innovation Power Cats in Austrailia - build a 40 footer like that and you can have my deposit cheque.
    Half a dinari for an old ex-boater

[ QUOTE ]
    My evidence to support that is what I am told about Belgium ports that have a much greater percentage of larger MoBos but have enjoyed lower price fuel like the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely if you are Northern French/Belgian and want to be near your boat then it makes sense to try and keep it in the cheaper place. Why assume that the only reason people have a boat is because of cheap fuel?

If Sussex declared UDI and kept cheap fuel then of course some people would look to move from the Solent to Brighton to take advantage of that.

Whitelighter is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    And generally they look fairly hideous!

Not quite a match for a Targa, a Squeeker or a big boy Squaddie Ey!? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

In additon to my last post, and in answer to Argo - I thinkk this is as sleek and sexy as anything coming out of the Fairline, Sunseeker or Azimut stables

Half a dinari for an old ex-boater

Default PassageMaker

[ QUOTE ]
    full of boats of that type and people who make good use of them.

[/ QUOTE ]Seconded.
    I never subscribed, and only read it occasionally, but it always makes me think all that other boating magazines are ridiculously pointless in comparison.

KevB is offline Registered User

Paul,

How about this... I agree with you. I am worried about how I will justify keeping the boat. And to all those who say fuel is just a small part of the cost may I suggest you get out on your boats a bit more.

I can see a lot of people being in a situation where they either have to accept a massive hit on the price when selling their boats or keep it and treat it as a caravan. Personally, if I wanted a caravan I would have bought one. If the running costs become unjustifiable then I recon my boat will be woth 40k less than it was last year. Caught between a rock and a hard place.

[ QUOTE ]
    But we've had these conversations before with Gludy, over and over. He just crops up again two months later saying the same old stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

True and we have had the conversations before with you Ari and you still make the same old point and still refuse to disclose your connection with the trade.

I am fully aware of the South Coast of France and the percentage of MoBo there and that is whay I specifically asked about weat and North Coast ports where the MoBo percentage is very, very low. After all if you want the weather yo can have your sail boat in the south as well as your MoBo.
    As akways Ari - you miss the point and do not read posts properly before firing off and banging on your same old drum

The perfect storm combination of the credit crunch, the rise in fuel prices, the end of ten years of economic madness where a government has supported an economy with an out of control credit spree and squandered huge tax increases on out of control public bodies that have not produced the results - that perfect storm will hit the MoBo sector as well as many other sectors. The ten year bubble has bust and nobody except Mr. Brown should be surprised.

It is the combination of all those factors that will hit the MoBo market and like another poster stated - anyone buying at present would be wise to hold back because prices are going to tumble. My guess is by 30% or so on the larger cruisers over the next 18 months.

I think the market is already showing this slow down - its the sellers who over time will have to drop their prices - that often does take time.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

KevB is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    Golf is not a cheap pastime either! (apparently), so are golfers going to give it all up because it costs them more to get to their favourite course.......I think not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit of a bad comparison imho. not much outlay to play a round of golf. maybe 50 course fee, some funny checked trousers and a bag of sticks. not much compered with 10's of k's it cost to go boating...

Default Re: PassageMaker

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    full of boats of that type and people who make good use of them.

[/ QUOTE ]Seconded.
    I never subscribed, and only read it occasionally, but it always makes me think all that other boating magazines are ridiculously pointless in comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, the reviews are far more indepth. Case in point, MBY review of an Elling - 6 pages. Passagemaker review runs to 13 pages.

Rick

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast