Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Are all Volvos originally Perkins engines?

I don't think anything in the D series are Albin, since they don't make engines anymore. I found my little '100th Anniversary' book that Albin produced and it had a little of the history of the connection of Penta and Albin. The MD6A, for example, was Albin's X2 motor. Penta bought the entire motorprogram in 1970 but discussions had started in the 1940's. The C5 and C10 Penta's were Albin's O-11 and O-21.

Penta had also borrowed things from the Volvo cars, and a lot of older motor boats here have 'Penta' units with B-16 or B-18 engines in them.

Albin went on to become a boat manufacturer (Vega, for example, was made by them and some even had Albin engines) but in 2000 they were just a supplier of components for other industries.

Default Re: Are all Volvos originally Perkins engines?

The '21's (MD21A,MD21B,AQD21.. etc. are all based on the Indenor (Industrie du Nord Est) AKA Peugeot XDP4/90. Same engine as used by Vetus in their P4.

Default Perama M30

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffles View Post
    To quote some ones quote that was posted on here a while back...
    [ QUOTE ]

I got the following concerning the VP 2030 from somewhere on the web in the distant past:-
    [ QUOTE ]

Your engine is what Perkins calls a 103-10. Perkins started importing these 100 series engines from a Japanese company called Ishikawajima Shibaura Machinery, Ltd. nearly twenty years ago. ISM is part of Ishikawajima Harima Industries, one of Japan’s largest industrial companies. Perkins marketed this engine in a marinized version as the Perama M30. They sold the engine to Volvo Penta who marketed it as their MD2030. They also sold the engine to Massey Ferguson, McCormick, Terramite, Textron, Jacobsen, Cushman, Vermeer, Leech Lewis, JCB, Kobelco, and Northern Lights to name just a few. In the US, the engine was distributed thru Detroit Diesel – Allison which is closely tied to the MTU conglomerate. By 1996, Perkins had become so successful at marketing these engines to other equipment manufacturers that they formed a joint venture with ISM called Perkins Shibaura Engines, Ltd. and began assembling the engines at the Perkins facility in Peterborough, UK from parts shipped from Japan. In 1997, Perkins was acquired by Caterpillar. With an added boost from Caterpillar, this little engine has become one of the most popular engines in the world. It’s used in turf equipment, tractors, mini-excavators, brush choppers, compressors, welders, pumps, generators, etc. etc. etc. Even Caterpillar uses it in some of their smaller equipment. The “Perkins” name was highlighted on the engine ID plate which is located on a distinctive boss just forward of the injection pump. The 2006 model year’s production of the engine has “Shibaura” highlighted on the ID plate. In 2001, the larger Shibaura 400 series engine was introduced with assembling at Peterborough, UK from parts mostly from Japan, and in June, 2004 assembling of the 400 series engine began at a Caterpillar facility in Griffin, Georgia, USA with production exceeding 100,000 units per year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The big question is how much do they cost before they're painted green?
    You know a lot about these engines Ruffles. Where can I get the basic industrial version of M30 and then marinize it myself? I have two M30 on my boat and need new engines, but I can switch the marine parts. I've done it before on Universal that was a Kubota and you could buy the tractor engine for about 1/2 price. Thanks for the advice, Kris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12