Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can the shrouds be used as a radio aerial ?

I am now down in the bowels of my Folkboat "rewiring" everything I can find. " Hera" is full of long redundant wiring, but today I followed back a cable that was attached to a shroud plate ... it looks very much like a radio aerial. Its not the VHF cable as that has been removed from the mast and replaced with new. So can the shrouds be used as an aerial ?
    Also anyone know where I can by a "choc block" connector "Maplins" dont seem to have one ?
    Another nice day here in Scotty ...but the winds keeping the temp. down.
    Mike.
    I'm happy to be free as the wind as the wind is tax free, so far.

Default Re: Can the shrouds be used as a radio aerial ?

I have this arrangement on my GK24, the shrouds act as a good broadcast radio aerial.
    This works well with my vintage 1970's Sharp car stereo I fitted.

However, with a modern MP3/CD radio combo, the radio was useless and unstable with wierd whistles and burbles on Radio 2, the only station it could recieve.

So I went back to the old stereo - after all its more in keeping with the 1979 boat.

As for chocolate blocks, B&Q sells them for various prices from 99p for two made-in-china versions. Searching the electrical shelves nearby shows others priced higher.

Otherwise try an electrical/builders wholesaler.

It is held that a good crimped connection is probably more secure, but I have made some crimps that are worse than a chocolate block connection, usually with the wrong sized wire involved.

Thanks Mike Will keep the old radio aerial as a back up.
    Re the choc block ..... (new instalation) I had to cut the Radar cable ...and others on the site advised using a choc block ..........nothing in my local B&Q but will check again tomorrow.
    Mike
    I'm happy to be free as the wind as the wind is tax free, so far.

oldharry is offline Registered User

Trouble with the B&Q cheapos is the metal screws rust instantly in damp, seize up and the rust pushes the wire away and breaks contact..... better quality ones have plated metal parts which protects them in damp, but not wet, conditions.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

alan17 is offline Registered User
    Location : Home near Stansted Airport Boat at Burnham yacht harbour

Use choc blocks with a metel blade insert. They are much kinder to the wire than the simple screw type. They are available from Index Marine and most chandlers. To prevent corrosion coat with silicone grease.

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks Mike Will keep the old radio aerial as a back up.
    Re the choc block ..... (new instalation) I had to cut the Radar cable ...and others on the site advised using a choc block ..........nothing in my local B&Q but will check again tomorrow.
    Mike

[/ QUOTE ]
    It sounds to me like you and F_O_G are getting lines crossed as regarding choc blocks, he means block connectors and It sounds like you mean something else.
    Holiday Flat to let in Millport , pm for details.

A good tip with chocbloks is to tin all the wires first with a soldering iron. A lasting connection is guaranteed.
    I must go down to the sea again, the lonely sea and sky.
    I left my vest and pants there, I wonder if theyre dry?

TonyS is offline Registered User

The shrouds are a much better Navtex aerial than the thing that they sell that sits on the pushpit until it gets broken off!
    Tony

Beadle is offline Registered User
    Location : Rural Nth Yorks - 2 miles from bus stop, 8 miles from station.

You don't say what radio and whether transmitting or just receive.

Certainly you can use the shrouds, but not advisable for transmitting, all of the metal bits of the rigging would be live with RF which is not recommended.

Should make a decent receive aerial, but will be best if you connect well up the back stay or shroud rather than the bottom of the wire.

Dunno what a "chocolate block" is but I would use a couple of Jubulee type clips, solder the end of the wire and connect it with the end of the wire pointing downwards. A spot of waterproof sealer will complete the fitting.
    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

markdj is offline Registered User

For receiving only yes, but use a ring type crimp terminal and tin the wire and use some glue filled heat shrink to prevent water ingress. Any moistre at all and the copper quickly decays.