Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Med Cruising plans - where to go?

Went there last year before last. Email if you want some favorable comments.

We went from La Rochelle round Spain and Portugal through Gibraltar and up the Costa del Sol,and Costa Blanca this year. If you are interested, I can e-mail you my passage notes.

It would be a pity to miss out on Southern Portugal and Spain in the rush to get to Gibraltar I think if you haven't already been there.

Good luck in your quest...

Jim,
    I've just seen your mail, and we are planning the same trip as you have just completed this year. June - down to Portugal, then on to Gib and winter in southern Spain. Hope to get to E Med idc. I would value a mail with outline of your trip itinerary, any comments and your thoughts on wintering in S Spain

Yours
    Fabian

Fabian
    Fabian

Delighted to help but I shall need your e-mail address in order to send you my pilotage notes etc as attachments...

I find that staying in Greece is a bit like being served vintage champagne (sailing in the islands) in an old, cracked chamber pot (the mostly atrocious food, the expense (a coffee in Santorini costs as much as in Cannes), the paperwork, the lack of marinas when you REALLY need one, the rudeness and the general attitude to "tourists"...and the language which takes years to get even a basis) However great the champagne tastes, you can't get away from the chamber pot.

The stretch of French coast from Marseille to Menton is hard to beat, particularly around Port Cros and Porquerolles and especially the mainland opposite, with, literally, dozens of available anchorages.

Sure, it's crowded from the second week in July and first three weeks in August but many of the anchorages, frequented by lampshade equipped motorboats, start to vacate around 6pm as family members yearn for a hot shower and civilisation. If you have to be there during that period (why not hop over to Corsica or Elba where marinas may also be full but anchorages plentiful) the trick is to roam around an anchorage at the end of the day and "spot" those who you think will go back to a marina.

French tourist areas are there basically to serve the French , who inherently are a hard to please, nitpicking bunch, which means that food, facilities and attitudes are by and large streets ahead of those in Greece and Spain who cater to tourists of mainly Northern European origin, which results in the inevitable chips with everything, flamenco mit sauerkraut and the ubiquitous "good breakfast" as well as harrassment from restaurant and store owners, "hey, where are you from?"

'Ave a good trip!

Jim,
    Many thanks. I would be very grateful for any advice or info. My e address is:
    yachtmaddie @btinternet.com
    Cheers
    Yours aye
    fabian

Fabian
    Fabian

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123